Anyone do business with hodgesmarine.com ?

Chas0218

I was looking at getting the spx-5r and they seem to have the best price even after shipping.  Has anyone done business with them before?  Here is their full web address http://www.hodgesmarine.com

Here is the link to the autopilot: http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Raymarine-Spx5r-P70r-Pilot-p/rayt70016.htm?click=19

Thanks,

Chas

I did business with them twice this year. I bought an auto pilot and a GPS. I was very happy with their service and communication. I have also done business with BOE and the GPS store. They were very good too. Hodges had the best prices for what I was buying. I highly recommend them.

If you ending buying that Ray SPX 5R auto pilot make sure it can handle the weight of your boat. I think they rate that unit up to 4400 pounds for mechanical steering. Don't get the cheaper costing unit for hydraulic steering for a mechanical steered boat because although it can be fitted to work it will wear out in about a year.  Also make sure that all parts needed for installation come with the kit. After a lot of research I ended up going with the Sitex SP-110. So far I'm very happy with it.

If you ending buying that Ray SPX 5R auto pilot make sure it can handle the weight of your boat. I think they rate that unit up to 4400 pounds for mechanical steering. Don't get the cheaper costing unit for hydraulic steering for a mechanical steered boat because although it can be fitted to work it will wear out in about a year.  Also make sure that all parts needed for installation come with the kit. After a lot of research I ended up going with the Sitex SP-110. So far I'm very happy with it.

Why will it wear out faster on hydraulic steering boat?

It says it can handle up to 7000lbs. hydraulically steered boats.

Edited by Chas0218

Why will it wear out faster on hydraulic steering boat?

It says it can handle up to 7000lbs. hydraulically steered boats.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. They make units for mechanical steered boats and units for hydraulically steered boats. If you have a mechanically steered boat get a unit for a mechanically steered boat. You can make a unit designed for hydraulically steered boats to fit a mechanically steered boat, but it will wear out faster because they are designed to run off the hydraulic pump which a mechanical steered boat is lacking. Some boaters buy the hydraulic units to retrofit their mechanically steered boats because they are cheaper than the ones made for mechanical steering only to find them wearing out fast.  Your link was to a mechanically steered unit? That unit will handle a boat to 4400lbs. The hydraulic unit made for hydraulically steered boats can handle a boat to 7000lbs. I'm not sure of the weight of your boat or if you have mechanical or hydraulic steering? Get a unit designed for your boat's steering is all I'm pointing out.

Edited by MikeyP