Moose Hunt Trip

traveller

Just came back from a moose hunting trip east of Thunder Bay.  We got this Bull moose opening day at 9am, it just over a 50" rack and was about 300 yards out in the muskeg. Needless to say it was quite a chore getting it out whole, but would have been a much bigger problem if we had to quarter it where it was. 

It got quite warm made the decision to take to a butcher shop in Thunder Bay. It ended up being a great decision as it continue to get very warm. We picked the meat up several days later, it was still not frozen. We then purchased a lot of dry ice and loaded the coolers full of meat the covered with dry ice.

It took two days to arrive home found the meat to be frozen.

It was a great trip with weather cooperating, came home around Lake Superior down to Sault StMarie which is a hilly but a scenic route. 

post-143460-0-49950000-1381856036_thumb.jpg

post-143460-0-67813400-1381856064_thumb.jpg

post-143460-0-11088500-1381856100_thumb.jpg

Really nice looking animal, they are huge looking at the pics. How does one move such a beast? I see a 4 wheeler but I don't think you could get it to where the animal was? My brother shot one up in Newfoundland, and the meat was very good, I thought it had a sweetmeat flavor, Excellent hunt and Excellent table fare!!!

Edited by pap

We got there but it was tricky. It is my Kawasaki we dicided to bring it out backwards as not to have the rack of the moose catchiing. We then used my winch and hooked on another 4 wheeler this helped hold the front end down. We did have problems in one place hooked on another 4 wheeler and he hooked his winch to a tree. We then all had our winchs working plus giving them gas we got out of this mess. We then used two 4 wheelers to pull this majestic moose to where our trailer and trucks were parked.

As they say shooting them is easy part, once down the work starts.

We got there but it was tricky. It is my Kawasaki we dicided to bring it out backwards as not to have the rack of the moose catchiing. We then used my winch and hooked on another 4 wheeler this helped hold the front end down. We did have problems in one place hooked on another 4 wheeler and he hooked his winch to a tree. We then all had our winchs working plus giving them gas we got out of this mess. We then used two 4 wheelers to pull this majestic moose to where our trailer and trucks were parked.

As they say shooting them is easy part, once down the work starts.

Yea I hear ya there, we kill a beef every year and know what that's like with everything right in front of you and on dry land and a skid steer, we killed a Mule deer years back and 4 of us could barely move it, when this guy came down the same trail we were on with a 4 wheeler and asked us if he could help, of course we said yes. He hooked on that animal and drug it like it was nothing, those 4 wheelers are powerful!!! I couldn't believe it, it didn't even lift the front up or sound like it labored at all. He put it in gear and took off amazing!!  I was glad to see that guy.