New world record Tiger Musky in Idaho 8-6

Just read an article on field and streams website about a new record tiger. The fish was 44.26 pounds, 52.5 inches long and a 25 inch girth. Based on those numbers the 50 inch plus claims ive heard from Otisco are either exaggerations or world records as the Ice fishing record had a 26.5 inch girth at only 46.5 inches. Seems to me if we could get a 50 plus fish from an alewife lake it would certainly approach the record as the lakes have fatter fish! I know there wont be any tigers kept from my boat unless they are record fish as I believe its just a matter of time! I don't know how post a link, but a google search will take you there. Sorry if this is old news but its the first I had heard so I thought Id post it!

Justin

Otisco has some really nice fish in it but unfortunately I feel the same issue that was brought up in another recent thread has produced a lot of "unrealistic claims/sightings".

People that don't have experience with seeing and handling large fish tend to see a 30" fish and freak out because they are used to fishing for "smaller" fish. I feel that claims of 50" fish typically come from anglers that aren't fishing for Muskies. As you know, after seeing/handling some decent fish you are better able to judge size.

Anyways, I'm just stating what I personally feel from experience at the lake. Could there be a world record in there? Sure, there could be in any lake they are stocked, nobody knows what the biggest fish in the lake is and if it will ever be caught. I think it's a quality fishery but I am quite doubtful it will pump out a record, especially when you compare New York's average tiger catches to a state like Utah where they consistently catch mid-upper 40" tigers. I'm not saying that New York doesn't have them or there aren't many here because I know for a fact there are some really nice fish here.

I think 20 lb fish are plentiful around New York State but to hit that 30 lb mark, takes a serious jump in size, not only length but also girth. Then to hit a 40 lb fish..... I can only dream of that!!! The biggest fish I have caught was maybe around 25 lbs or so, and to experience a fish of that size was incredible. When I saw thy fish coming in and also when I was releasing it, I was in awe. I hadn't seen a fish that big and really had no idea how big it was. That being said, I haven't seen a fish nearly as girthy as that in otisco, are there some in there, I think so, but to add another 15 pounds on top of that, I would be shocked.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope I am wrong because it is my favorite lake and I've been fishing it for years and will continue to do so for the rest of my life. There are nice fish there but I personally don't think a world record will be coming out of there.

26.5" is that girthy and then some...there is enough forage for sure just not sure if the lake is big enough to get the age/length. Too many are kept in the mid 30's to low 40's. A look on the wall at the store shows that. Everyday that the tigers are really biting I see 1 dragging from a boat that is borderline legal. The state has upped the size but not enough. I talked to Ian Blackburn on this issue at length and he seemed optimistic that this could happen.

Tigerhunter,

Would you be interested in working with me on some literature to put up around the lake to educate anglers on safe handling practices etc. the way they do for real muskies. This is very important to me as I love these fish and this lake. We could make a difference. Education is the key...could someone from chapter 69 give me some info on how they have done this, and I will fund the signage as well as get them out there.

justin

justin

I would not be surprised if there was a record in there right now. Certainly a NY record. I know of a confirmed 48 caught and a larger fish seen in 9 mile creek this year. Seen multiple over 40 caught. If there are some that big in the creek there has to be same or larger in the lake!

Mike,

Thank you, I emailed the the NMA conservation director Jim Kinner for some input on this.  I would think I could get this done this fall before ice fishing season.  I do have a question maybe somebody could answer.  I see all kinds of info on handling muskies, but everything I have read is assuming you are in a boat.  Shore fisherman I would think have to be extra careful with a thrashing fish on the rip rap, and ice fisherman it seems probably lift every one by the head up thru the hole.  I would want to address these issues too on Otisco as we have plenty of both. 

justin

Justin,

I love the idea of putting "informative/educational" signs at popular access points. I think the 2 boat launches, the dec site in the southwest corner, the county park, and the guide rail would help. I had thought about this last fall when they bumped the minimum length up but was super busy with work and school until it was too late.

I might be able to convince the marina to allow us to out up some sort of small sign, maybe by the box where you pay for the launch. I'm thinking you have a pretty good relationship with the campground as you rented a slip there for the season... I assume we would have to contact the dec for permission at there access (which I wouldn't think would be an issue) and Onondaga county parks and recreation for the park. For the guide rail I'm not sure if it would be Onondaga county or if you could contact The OCWA.

For the info on the signs I think we could probably just use what the other lakes do but change the season and minimum length. For the concern of ice fisherman and shore fisherman, the best thing I can think of is just to stress that a vertical hold without supporting the rest of the body does significant damage to the fishes internal organs and will most likely result in delayed mortality.

For the rip rap, I know some people seem to be lacking this and/or have never heard of this but it's common sense not to bang fish around if you want them to live. To combat this, it could be stressed that these fish are very delicate and they should not be laid on the ground.

I will be fishing for the first time in months this week and will take a picture of the sign at the launch to get some ideas. Let us know what you hear back from the nma.

Trevor

I love the idea of putting "informative/educational" signs at popular access points. I think the 2 boat launches, the dec site in the southwest corner, the county park, and the guide rail would help. I had thought about this last fall when they bumped the minimum length up but was super busy with work and school until it was too late.

Awesome idea guys........ Angler Education is key to long term success and these signs are a great step in the right direction!  Would love to see this sort of thing implemented in more waters around the state.

Trevor,

Ill contact DEC today, meant to yesterday, you take the Onondaga county folks.  We can report back on this thread so anyone wanting to follow along can.  If anyone has an interest in this or ideas Id love to hear from you.  Ryfuns will definitely allow the signage, and the owner of the marina is a nice guy seems like it's in his best interest too. 

Anybody from conesus interested?  Seems like we should get the signs all together.  Same goes for any lake with tigers...speak up and make a difference.   Probably better do something on the Susquehanna too being I can see it from my house and it has fishable numbers of both tigers and pure muskies.  A lot more access spots though...Ill send a few pms to some guys I know on these waters.

justin

Sorry I am just getting in on this conversation but I must say I like what I am hearing.... I know John Linder who owns the marina I would be willing to speak to him about putting up a sign. 2 other locations that would be beneficial is the Moondance and the Amber Inn. Both attract anglers. I think Justin is on to something that the minimum 36 lenght isnt enough but man you should of heard the whining at the DEC informational meeting last winter so whether they increase the minimum again wlill be interesting to see.   Just to be upfront and I know you may not want to hear this but I am sticking with keeping my first 45" fish with no apologies..... I dont know if you have ever eaten a Nor Lunge but they are prettty damn good some people like them better than walleye...

Tigers do in fact eat fine.  I release everyone on my boat, but my first 40 last year was in august and I failed to revive it because I didn't work fast enough and didn't have a plan.  Ian Blackburn returned my call Friday and the DEC has no problem with the educational signage.  Im still waiting for written permission to put them on state owned land , but Ian forwarded my request to the correct people and anticipate an answer this week. 

justin

The guys here at LOU, members of Muskies Inc and our friends of the Niagara Musky Association all support the practice of catch release and that can't be stressed enough.  Remember that muskies are "long-life" fish (i.e., a 45-inch Tiger and/or 50+" pure) can be 10-15 (tigers) years old and 20-25 (pures) years old.  An adult salmon is replaceable in only 2-years, not so for these ESOX species.  Kill a trophy pure and that fish won't be replaced for 20-25 years down the road....  to this day, my grandmother can not understand why I release every fish I catch as this was an unheard of practice back in her day.  Angler education is why musky fishing is as good today as it has ever been.  "Table fare" fish are easily replaceable (2-years or less) and grown on fish farms..... not over the course of 20-25 years.  Efforts like educational signage proposed by Justin above are awesome and go a long way in helping sustain trophy fisheries.

Anyways, I digress from the original topic point but thought it important enough to bare repeating and hope that all members here support practices that help preserve the fishery for our future generations.  

The guys here at LOU, members of Muskies Inc and our friends of the Niagara Musky Association all support the practice of catch release and that can't be stressed enough. Remember that muskies are "long-life" fish (i.e., a 45-inch Tiger and/or 50+" pure) can be 10-15 (tigers) years old and 20-25 (pures) years old. An adult salmon is replaceable in only 2-years, not so for these ESOX species. Kill a trophy pure and that fish won't be replaced for 20-25 years down the road.... to this day, my grandmother can not understand why I release every fish I catch as this was an unheard of practice back in her day. Angler education is why musky fishing is as good today as it has ever been. "Table fare" fish are easily replaceable (2-years or less) and grown on fish farms..... not over the course of 20-25 years. Efforts like educational signage proposed by Justin above are awesome and go a long way in helping sustain trophy fisheries.

Anyways, I digress from the original topic point but thought it important enough to bare repeating and hope that all members here support practices that help preserve the fishery for our future generations.

nicely stated.

Remember that muskies are "long-life" fish (i.e., a 45-inch Tiger and/or 50+" pure) can be 10-15 (tigers) years old and 20-25 (pures) years old.

Perhaps this information should be included on the educational signs. People may not realize how long it takes for a fish to grow to trophy size.

I wish we were able to "steer" people towards catch and release of the tiger muskies with the signage, but at least on state lands the signage may only include the legal size limit and safe release techniques to educate anglers. The sign must remain neutral on the catch and release issue as its up to the angler to decide whether to kill or release. On private property it can be biased towards catch and release however it is not my intention to push my beliefs only to educate those interested in catch and release. Anyone with a current license has the right to keep legal fish caught legally.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

IMO there is more harm done to Tigers on Otisco due to the catches by "bass fishermen" and the "bass tournaments" that occur weekly on the lake.

I have had many conversations with various "bass angler" that could care less about the safe handling of a big tiger nor are they equipped to do so.

The ones that I have spoke with dont have respect for them because

A) They wreck their equipment( rods/reels tackle, lures , bite-offs etc.)

B) Trash their boat

C) They have sharp teeth

D) Are slimy and stinky

E) Consume fisherman's  time unhooking them instead of fishing for bass

F) TIgers Eat their "prize" ....bass

Perhaps  interaction with the tournament directors  of said bass tournaments would result in relaying the message to the participants of the importance of the tigers to other anglers of the lake that arent bass tournament anglers.

Tim

Tim,

They are the focus group for sure as they definitely arent going to keep the fish. I talk to the directors of those tournaments every morning all summer as im headung out while they are setting up, and Ill mention it this summer. My son is joining 2 of those clubs and knows the importance of safe handling. It will take time, but we will make a difference. I still havent heard from NMA.

justin

I think what you guys are doing with the signs is great!! Like nr surf&turf said those guys don't give a dam about the muskies nor will they even take notice to the signs and a lot of others, since Justin has made this lake a walleye lake I don't mean it in a bad way, but look back over the posts. I know many folks that want to try their hand at a walleye and I'm one of them, the walleye are very nice size and with the stocking people know that they will be there. That being said the old school guys don't want to hear anything about musky preservation in walleye land. Maybe the younger Gen that are educated that a walleye will eat a musky will be the ones to focus on and I believe that's where this is going. But  the older guys when they start bending up their $7-12.00 rig are going to get mad and wont pay any attention to a survival type release for a musky, and take precious time to rerig when their competition is casting away, hell those guys don't care about the bass either it's all about the NAME & FAME. What you guys are doing is a good thing and there is going to become a time when we all need to take a step back and take a good look at what we are doing or not doing, you guys are taking the first step toward what we SHOULD be doing, congrats on your effort. Justin and some others around Otisco lake are dedicated and determined to make a difference, but to do this it might take some (Speaking your knowledge about the fishery face to face at time to get through this grey area) Good luck and stand your ground!!

Yes, we need to go to bass club's and talk about our muskies and educate them.

Capt Larry

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Absolutely, I was thinking of getting in touch with BASS too as I know they are getting more conservation minded on a national level, but it's time they started pushing it at local level.

Justin