Raymarine A65 and spx-5r auto pilot

Chas0218

I am adding at the spx-5r autopilot this winter and want to link the A65 with it to allow way-point tracking.

Do you guys think it would be worth the $700 just for way-point tracking?  I don't know if I can justify the cost. Is that the only feature it gives me?  I guess I'm not sure what other features it will allow the autopilot to do...

Any extra insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chas

Edited by Chas0218

Hooking up your SPX-5R to your GPS will enable it to use the pattern modes (circle, U-turn, zig-zag, ect.). I hooked mine up to my HDS-7 with NMEA-0183 which is built into the power cable. It was pretty easy once I figured out what needed to go where.

Hooked mine up to my hds5.  Don't use any of the fancy features, but hooked it up anyhow.  If memory serves me right there were only 4 wires but colors were different from raymarine to lowrance.  Had to read each manual a couple times to get it right.  It should hook up to any gps with NMEA capability, you could always call raymarine to double check. 

I am adding at the spx-5r autopilot this winter and want to link the A65 with it to allow way-point tracking.

Do you guys think it would be worth the $700 just for way-point tracking?  I don't know if I can justify the cost. Is that the only feature it gives me?  I guess I'm not sure what other features it will allow the autopilot to do...

Any extra insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chas

Hi Chas just wondering are you planing to run the AP off your main motor. I was advised to do this with an IO and power assist steering.

We opted not to hook our Raymarine X10 autopilot up to the GPS because we don't generally fish patterns, and if we need to get back to a waypoint, we just point the boat that way and turn the dial on the autopilot until the tracks intersect. For us, the utility of an autopilot is its ability to keep the boat going straight while rigging and netting fish. We tried running at speed using it, and it works, but for me it's nerve racking not to have my hands on the wheel going 35 mph. Never again.

That having been said, I've also never run patterns with an autopilot, and if I tried it, maybe I'd like it. :lol:  If you're into a pod of fish that's really localized, I suspect that having the ability to run a pattern could keep you on fish. But for us, it's just a few wires...if it were $700...forget it.

I have an outboard so I'm just going to run my kicker linked to my main motor using a Panther auxiliary steering link.  I already run it like that but when fishing alone it is really difficult to troll into the wind and set lines.  

I won't be using this under way only trolling. 

Can I use any GPS or only lowrance, and raymarine?  I mean I wouldn't mind a nice gps but I currently have a lowrance m68c and it looks like it doesn't have NMEA capabilities only WAAS.  

Edited by Chas0218

I have an outboard so I'm just going to run my kicker linked to my main motor using a Panther auxiliary steering link.  I already run it like that but when fishing alone it is really difficult to troll into the wind and set lines.  

I won't be using this under way only trolling. 

Can I use any GPS or only lowrance, and raymarine?  I mean I wouldn't mind a nice gps but I currently have a lowrance m68c and it looks like it doesn't have NMEA capabilities only WAAS.  

My A65 has GPS with NEMA so that should work for you I would think. And like Gator said 700 seems like alot.

Anyone know of good places to buy raymarine electronics for cheap?

Best deals ere online now for anything. And as far as using ap for your waypoints. Forget it. You'll be happy as hell when the boat is going dead straight. I thought I'd use my features on my x-10 but like gator said, it doesn't happen.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The only time I use the navigate to waypoint feature on my Simrad is when I'm heading back to port. I have a waypoint about 60 yards outside of the Olcott pier heads so I select that point on the GPS and tell the AP to go to that point.

Tim

We opted not to hook our Raymarine X10 autopilot up to the GPS because we don't generally fish patterns, and if we need to get back to a waypoint, we just point the boat that way and turn the dial on the autopilot until the tracks intersect. For us, the utility of an autopilot is its ability to keep the boat going straight while rigging and netting fish. We tried running at speed using it, and it works, but for me it's nerve racking not to have my hands on the wheel going 35 mph. Never again.

That having been said, I've also never run patterns with an autopilot, and if I tried it, maybe I'd like it. :lol:  If you're into a pod of fish that's really localized, I suspect that having the ability to run a pattern could keep you on fish. But for us, it's just a few wires...if it were $700...forget it.

Gator that sounds like a real adrenaline rush!! I'd like to do it with 2-3fters and 35mph and hang on!!! :tmi:  :whew:  :rock:

Looks like I will wait on the chartplotter and get the auto pilot.  

I have been looking and haven't found any info on this but is there a different unit for hydraulic steering versus cable steering?  I am putting in hydraulic steering this winter as well so I wanted to make sure and get the correct one for type of steering.  

I was thinking on adding the SPX-5R over the winter.  I was going to go with P70R control unit.  The entire package can be found for less than $1300 online.  So in order to use the zig zag features, do you have to hook it up to a GPS or not?  I only have a humminbird GPS/Fish Finder on board.

Yes as far as I can tell.  All the research I have been doing you makes me believe you need to have a raymarine unit to do the "SeaTalk" connection. From what I have read on other forums most people that have the zig-zag feature and don't really use it.  I would love that feature for walleye in the spring. I will probably wait until next year for the raymarine head unit. 

Hydraulic versus cable is one of the first choices you have when you're buying, unless you go with a wheel pilot. I know that Silver Fox did exactly what you're talking about, putting in the hydraulic steer and autopilot together this year. Once you've narrowed your choices, make sure that you talk to a reputable mechanic about installation...some of the units can be touchy to do yourself. A good marine guy will be able to give you all the information that you need and more.

I guess I should have been a little more specific, are there different spx-5 units for hydraulic steering vs the mechanical?

I can't justify the cost for one of the other hydraulic style units I wouldn't utilize it enough.

I was thinking on adding the SPX-5R over the winter. I was going to go with P70R control unit. The entire package can be found for less than $1300 online. So in order to use the zig zag features, do you have to hook it up to a GPS or not? I only have a humminbird GPS/Fish Finder on board.

Yes you do...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I guess I should have been a little more specific, are there different spx-5 units for hydraulic steering vs the mechanical?

I can't justify the cost for one of the other hydraulic style units I wouldn't utilize it enough.

No, it is the same unit for both. You can use the NMEA connection to network with any device.

• 3 weeks later...

EK  , I just picked up the same auto pilot and and ff as you got. Approximately how long did it take you to install?

It only took a couple of hours to install the SPX-5R. It really is pretty simple. Hardest part for me was finding some room to mount the course computer. I wound up buying a Navpod to mount the P70R control head because I had no dashboard space to install it. That took another couple hours to cut out and drill all the holes. To connect the HDS7 to the SPX-5R you just connect the 4 wires labeled RS-232 (in the same blue plug as the power) to the NMEA 0183 terminals on the course computer.

One other thing I learned that wasn't quite clear in the instructions is that you cant wire the P70R directly to the course computer. You have to hook up both the course computer and the P70R to the SeaTalk 5 connecter block, and then plug in the blue plugs to any unused terminals on the 5 connector block. Also the course computer does not supply 12VDC power out on the SeaTalk cable, so you have to use the SeaTalk power cable and plug that into one of the terminals on the 5 connector block.

I dont know if this all makes sense or not, feel free to contact me if you need any info.