Trolling speeds that work for you with what lure was best

Xxx

Mostly Muskies I'm not sure how you came up with this "formula" but it makes no sense to me.  (see the earlier post I made here). Unless you have something that can accurately measure speed right at the lure you are still stuck with an "estimate" at best. All these things (measuring devices) are doing is measuring what your boat and downrigger are doing. Even what the Sub troll (or a Fish Hawk) are measuring is the speed at the place the probe is located on the wire. The water resistance measured  there for example as well as the resistance measured at the lure can be significantly different depending on the lure type, size, distance of lure from the weight (or probe), whether it is on the "outside" or "inside" of the turning radius of the boat, changes in density of the water down deep or shallow (depending on lure etc.). The most important thing is whatever you are using to gauge "speed" you need to return to that "relative" setting to help with consistency...and even that doesn't account for undetected changes under the surface as you troll along (changing current speed and direction especially with changed structure to the sides or underneath.... although admittedly the Fish Hawk or Sub Troll may help if closely monitored).

Sk8man, not sure if you've seen or heard about smarttroll, but it seems to be the closest thing to being able to answer alot of the questions/concerns you raised concerning speed/temp/depth. There was even a decent article about it in the glangler magazine a month or two ago.

The 3 Speed Formula divided by 3 works for both muskies & walleyes for me.I catch fish going again'st the wind and with the wind using it.I use to use only gps over bottom speed and most times only caught fish going one direction, usually into the wind.I also notice that the rod action looks the same using the formula.I have been using this formula for 4 years now and it works for me.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Eye Spy....I have heard of it but thus far haven't looked into it...thanks for reminding me I'll have to take a look at it.

Mostly Muskies - I guess if you have a method that works ...that is all that is important in the final analysis - not the technicalities.. and I sure wasn't criticizing you personally in any way so I want to make that clear....I was reacting only to the details of the comment itself. My comment may have come off more strongly than intended now that I look back at it. I guess underlying my comments is that fact that I feel that a lot of the time we are much too reliant on the technology itself and make a lot of assumptions (myself included) about it that may or may not be accurate.

Edited by Sk8man

If it was anybody else I would he hesitant to believe such a formula works, as I think the Hawk uses pressure to determine the depth, but Larry's theory is a keeper for he is definitely a credible person!! not only with this depth speed thing (no disrespect by I'll stay with the hawk) but being able to put muskies in the boat like that man has done over the years is absolutely incredible, and then go to South America and be a guide that takes dedication and talent. He  takes people fishing on expeditions of a life time in Guyana!!  Read more about Larry Guyana Eco Fishing and Adventure tours, if it works for him maybe others will be able to come up with a thesis. and save $750.00 which would could be used elsewhere. Thanks for all the thought that was put into the thread. PAP

Im always a skeptic, but techniques shared by guys that fish as much as Captain Larry, or anybody that puts fish in the boat on an EVERYDAY basis year in and year out should be valued by everyone as it takes a great deal of effort to develop them on your own. The sharing of info helps us all...thanks to all that contribute regularly, especially Captain Larry, and Sk8man who have been sharing for years.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not saying your guys methods dont work I just use my gps for the most part. I forgot to add I generally run 2 riggers off the back generally with shallow divers and 20' leads. What I like about the shallow diver is you automatically account for 8' of depth no matter what length lead (walleye lead off ball is usually 35' for me).

Sent from the awesomeness of Chas!

If i run 6 rods its 2 on each side 2 on riggers

9 rods i run 3 each side 2 riggers and 1 leadcore down the chute

12 rods i run 4 each side 3 on riggers with a stacker and a chute rod...i have to be real bored and have ambitious guests to even think about 12

9 is a great number and very manageable, as long as there's little or no weeds

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Come on Tracy where's your spirit?!  Lol generally with my buddies we run 12 to 14 rods depending on how many people are with me. Most of the time we run the big boards for 8 or more and smaller inline boards when it is only a couple of us (6 rod).

I forgot to mention once rods start firing off I try to run most of my baits along the same depth. I have found that running them 10' apart is not to hard long as you watch the rods. I have found that it is easier to run leads closer on big boards than the in-line boards. This is mostly because you are attaching them to the same line and always at that set distance apart.  On inline boards some will pull harder and move further up the spread making the lures run at the same level and possibly cause a tangle when a fish takes the bait.