ATTENTION ALL FISHERMAN, I NEED TO KNOW?

Xxx

Please go to the auction post and click on "to see some pictures" and on the far right below the line count down 19 pictures, it will be a tackle box with J plugs, in front of the J plugs are white round things with orange shrink wrap like material with a wire clip on it WHAT are those things. I got a tackle box given to me with the same stuff in it but I never saw these white circles with these clips, and there must be 50 of them in the box I got but have no clue as to what they are. Thanks for any help PAP PS. it must be old school because the box I got given to me looks exactly like that mess. So I know some of you guys been around the block more than me, and I'm dying to know !!!!!

Those are mac-jac releases.  First came out for planner boards then were used on rigg'rs.  You put your line thru the "donut & twisted it a few times then put it in the wire holder.  The wire holder then clipped onto your cable/board line.  They were one of the first releases out on the market.  Buy them, send me a couple  & I'll let you in on another application that has helped me out a lot.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Actually they were stock items for yellow birds.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks for educating me, I had these things and had NO clue as to what they were I figured they had to some sort of releasing apparatus as the clip comes of with some difficulty. Thanks for you expertise!!!!

Tom is right on target Pap. I used to use them about 1976 or so when I made my first set of planer boards and then on my manual Riveria downriggers about 1977. I also used the planer board version on the yellow birds as mentioned. I found with them (and the boards)I could dispense with the doughnut stuff by adding a light weight clothes pin (for camping) with  the ends dipped in Plastidip (so it didn't abraid the line instead of the doughnut.  For the downrigger version I used them as the main release for a short while and then when the Black's came out around (79 or80?) I used the mac-jac only for stacking another rod on the downriggers  just went down cellar and resurrected them :lol:

The first pic is the doughnuts and downrigger releases

The second is the original yellowbird/planer board version (top) and my adapted version below it(with the clothes pin)

post-145411-0-61719400-1382236520_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-84717800-1382236530_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Tom is right on target Pap. I used to use them about 1976 or so when I made my first set of planer boards and then on my manual Riveria downriggers about 1977. I also used the planer board version on the yellow birds as mentioned. I found with them (and the boards)I could dispense with the doughnut stuff by adding a light weight clothes pin (for camping) with  the ends dipped in Plastidip (so it didn't abraid the line instead of the doughnut.  For the downrigger version I used them as the main release for a short while and then when the Black's came out around (79 or80?) I used the mac-jac only for stacking another rod on the downriggers  just went down cellar and resurrected them :lol:

The first pic is the doughnuts and downrigger releases

The second is the original yellowbird/planer board version (top) and my adapted version below it(with the clothes pin)

Thanks SK, that's definitely them I made a post about them a few months ago, but I'm to dumb to make a picture appear with the post, but when I saw them I figured other people could see what I was trying to describe and wham!! to replies in one day, I'm so glad I know now, are they still used ? what happens when all the clips are gone, junk? or can you still find them,

Interesting question Pap. I haven"t used them in many years but for old times sake I think I'll play with the yellow bird version next time out. I don't have a clue whether the business is still around or not....

As the first photo suggests I ended up with a whole lot more doughnuts than clips :lol:  I don't know what happened to the others I had. I do remember my clothespin approach worked very well and my fishing buddy (now gone) Scott Sampson (the outdoor writer) even wrote it up at the time in a sports article he was doing back then :)

Edited by Sk8man