Trying pre made musky rig

At gander mountain I bought a pre rigged sucker set up. It has a small hook to go in the lip, and two large trebles with one side bent on an angle to put before to dorsal and after. Then a fluorocarbon leader. I was thinking about using this with a three way swivel and a pencil sinker on the upper river. I bought 2 ounce and 1 1/2 oz pencil sinks to use. I was thinking about just drifting the boat with these. Or when throw lures drop it back off my rigger about 5 ft down. Any suggestions

Jonah you are not going to get much response from most musky fishermen on how to catch muskies on live bait. Most purists think that live bait gets swallowed too deep and therefore taboo.

Eviltroll,

I guess I'm one of the musky purists Gill-T speaks about and I hope I could convince you not to use a sucker rig for muskies in the upper Niagara River. I know people say that you can control the hookset and prevent the musky from swallowing the bait but I can assure you that this is not accurate. As a member of the Niagara Musky Association I can guarantee you that a sucker rig spells certain death for a musky and in a fishery that is self sustaining and not stocked, any musky that is killed is not a good thing. Also a fluorocarbon leader will break. We use straight stainless wire and braided seven strand wire for our leaders. If you are interested in learning how to fish the Upper Niagara river for muskies by casting, jigging, or trolling, I suggest you come to one of our meetings at the Elks Lodge In Tonawanda at 7pm on the first Tuesday of every month. The meetings are free and your not obligated to join and I can introduce you to several people who be willing to take you out and show you the ropes. I'm not trying to tell you how to fish but only asking that you might reconsider your method for muskies and help us protect the fishery we love so much. Thanks Mark

• 6 months later...

Sucker fishing is pretty popular in MN and WI in the fall, but I don't know anybody that does it anywhere I fish (PA, OH, NY, WV, and ON).  Here is a recent thread I saw on this topic:  http://www.muskyhunter.com/forums/

The guys at the Niagara Muskie Association are your best bet for learning about muskies and proper techniques in your area.

Edited by Ivan

Sorry that link doesn't take you directly to the thread I mentioned. From the link I provided, go to General Discussion, then "quick strike rig reminder".

Most guys around here, including myself, think that fishing live bait for muskies is just not worth the risk of killing fish. Also, there's really no reason live bait is needed...all the muskies caught by myself and all the muskie fisherman i personally know, have been caught on artificial lures.

Edited by Ivan

Yes, just was an option to have in the rod holders well throwing artificials but like fly fishing there will be puriest out there that think you should crush the barb and so on I respect it and revive all my fish

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's cool eviltroll...not trying to be judgmental...just trying to help educate. I just noticed your thread was from last year. So, did you try the sucker rig? If so, any personal observations or success with the rig?

Someone will always call you out for live bait rigs,bad holds,wrong net,boga grip,lightweight tackle and so forth. Yet we're all trying to put up to 9 hooks in it's face,fight it to exhaustion,and hold it where it can't breath.

Didn't try it threw plugs personally they limit you catching your own suckers and the ones they sell are so small they are junk just saw a few episodes where muskie mania Pete used them and threw plugs at the same time but double blades are my choice

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not that i feel your post was necessarily directed towards me, but i hear you old man. I know a couple of us, including myself, have been guilty of that approach in the past. However, the fact remains that the better we all are at handling and releasing our fish as quickly and unharmed as possible, the less delayed mortality and the more muskies there will be for all of us to re-catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well stated old man and muskymark you can control a live bait hook by the rig you are using When I live bait (not often) a 5/0 with a #5 stinger and oversize bait it is never swallowed. These hooks do less damage than the big trebles and come out easily Finally why not fish with live bait no hooks (dalberg video) and no lures How is that for puruist