31 inch draw length anybody ?

skipper19

okay I've been hunting with a PSE that dates back to 1996 ...yeah I know I'm like Arnold Schwarzenegger using the bow made from a tree to shoot the predator with...LOL! I'm tall, wide, have a wide wingspan and I drag my knuckles, so I'm looking for a bow that seems to be only about 5 percent of the market..a 31 inch draw or longer.

Some of you archers out there are giants... what do you use, what brand, what bow do you recommend pros/cons... cuz I'm in the market for an upgrade. thanks Mark

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good timing - I'm looking for the same information.  One of my buddies is 6' 11" and with his Diamond maxed out, he still needs another couple inches of draw length.  

I asked last night at a local shop & they weren't sure they could help but suggested bringing him in to be measured so they could do some checking for him. 

I shoot a bow that was custom built for my dad in the 80's :o  hes a big ox.. low and behold i grew into his bow, its got soft cams (if you can call them that) that look more like the wheels on a skateboard than cams, its long, its old, its heavy, but with a 70# and 32 inch draw, with a 2315 aluminum arrow... it hits like a dumptruck and its accurate enough for me out to 30 yards and i wouldnt change for the world.. Ive killed alot of deer with that bow, and i follow the kiss theory religiously. upgrading is fine but for a real big guy its really hard to find a bow that fits comfortably in the modern day super short, super light bow market. I looked a couple years ago and i wasnt happy with anything i could find, if i ever really decided to change i think im gona go backwards.. double recurve.. just my two pennies

I shoot a mathews Z9 which is designed for long draw shooters I believe it would be perfect for you and it has almost 9 inches of brace hieght which is why I bought it and had it set up for 29 inch draw lenght it is the most forgiving sweet shooting bow i have ever held so check it out! Just checked the site it can be set up for up to 32 inch draw lenght.

Edited by Gene Shenk

Been doing a little surfing around and looked at the Elite (one I hadn't considered til now) some good reviews, actually like the Energy 35 over the Tour for the AtA and the IBO was decent. It can go to 31 inch which will fully load the limbs for max power. Not sure what the let off is..guessing 80%? I will check it out in hand at Traditions as suggested..thanks Camomanbg!

The Mathews Z9 certainly would fit me, thanks Gene!.. great reviews, guys saying they wouldn't trade it for anything and such. Amazingly it has only 30 inches AtA, seems it might have a very steep angle on the string at full draw, but maybe the longer parallel limbs and the brace height compensate that. 80% letoff..It's just a bit slow at 312 IBO. I'm looking to launch logs of 460 to 500 gr. or more at a speed that can keep down the rainbow trajectory I already have with my old 305 IBO Inferno. I suck at ranging in the woods for some reason, so I'm trying to hopefully give myself a little wiggle room on the poor distance judging thing. I know the distance to my targets if they stand still, but I missed a nice buck 2 years ago because he was moving and stopping and moving quickly again. Needless to say he out maneuvers my predetermined laser sighted trees and rocks and logs with confusion!...so I missed by 5 yards of judgement over his shoulder. I went to lighter carbons to shoot missiles and got a lesson in how a bow is supposed to work with enough preload of projectile. Long story short it doesn't digest arrows less than 420 grains with any regularity. So still looking for some power to launch logs and stay relatively flat shooting out to 30 yards and not be objectionable drop at 40.

The Martin bows were intresting to me, I found they were not as good in reviews. The rytera line seems ok but I need to try a draw cycle and shoot a bow before I can condemn one for a poor review.

PSE makes a bow called the freak...Hmmmmm..maybe, I might just be one. It goes all the way to 33 inches. One review said it launches 515 grain arrows at 297 fps through a chrono!..maybe at 80 lbs draw I guess. 38 inches AtA is another very long bow.

Well keep some more coming if you have experience with newer bows that have the draw of at least 31 inches. I probably measure more toward 32 but I have made my old bow more comfortable by lengthening my mechanical release and did have a loop installed for a little extra, but I couldn't get it to work with my bow as for some reason it pinched the nock and lifted the arrow off the rest at full draw. Maybe it is the steep angle on the string, I don't know but I know the shorter the AtA is on these modern short speed bows it will not work for a draw lengthening device very well. Almost all speed bows end at 30 inches draw today. Some are 30.5..

Maybe that could work but I don't want to be cramped or put any more length on my release...keep them coming guys! I'm open and looking. If you got favorite pro shops to recommend, please do so. I am between Rochester and Buffalo so I can go either way to try some BIG bows..Thanks guys

Mark

I am in newfane and go to little ridge archery. Roy really knows his stuff. He will try to sell u a Hoyt as the best bow money can buy. I have always been a Fred bear guy myself since I got my dads hand me down years ago. As far as hunting bows go, in my opinion, u just can't beat them in value. I purchased the Bear Strike 3 yrs ago and LOVE it. It's small axle to axle and fast enough to use a single pin from 30yds and in. I'm 6'5" and have a 31" draw length as well.

I'll tell you guys a funny story and make it somewhat short. Shot tons of shoots, 3D, Vegas etc back in the day and attended a Bernie Pellerite nffa training camp for those who know him. All of us had new bows 31 inch long etc. I shot high handed grip, arched at the hip, shoulder raised etc as most others until the first day of training. He had everyone go through a measuring exercise and would tell you the length to put your brand new bow at. What? How am I going to get this bow to 28 inches? That's right 28 inches. Had to get a shorter string which by the way made your 70 lb bow reach only 55 if you were lucky. So picture everyone standing on the line after the bow modifications were made trying to shoot a bow 3 inches shorter. What a laugh. Any way after a couple of days of learning how to keep your shoulder down locked, hand down on the grip, standing straight not arched, the bow fit like it was a glove and I was as solid as a rock at 50yds. The moral of the story, there not too many on the tourney trail shooting 31 inches as there use to be. Go figure.

My old Oneida Eagle Aero-Force 80 has me covered and I'm 6'5", and just because it is not the latest/greatest/fastest/quietest carbonmatrixsuperduper........doesn't mean it doesn't kill. :rofl:

I am in newfane and go to little ridge archery. Roy really knows his stuff. He will try to sell u a Hoyt as the best bow money can buy. I have always been a Fred bear guy myself since I got my dads hand me down years ago. As far as hunting bows go, in my opinion, u just can't beat them in value. I purchased the Bear Strike 3 yrs ago and LOVE it. It's small axle to axle and fast enough to use a single pin from 30yds and in. I'm 6'5" and have a 31" draw length as well.

I have been to Roys shop, and he is very good on setup and tune. I bought a bow for my son there many years ago. It was a Jennings, but he outgrew that and now has a bear that he likes too. Thanks, and nice buck you took today! A real horse! Congrates

Mark

Thanks Justin, I thought about trying a 30 inch. I know I have my release stretched about as far as comfortably possible to still trip the trigger. I might get a little bit more from the loop addition, but I experience trouble with short axle bows having a very acute string angle and nock pinch. I actually draw more toward 31.5 or 32 and the 31 inch stop is about the limit of comfort for me with my anchor.

I do see that the 2014 manufacturers are bringing in more 31 inch draw bows. Bear has a bunch, PSE, Elite, these are the ones I am going to handle and see which is friendly to me.

I just got the 2014 pse catalog tonight and they have 3 pro line models that are at least 31.5. The Source, The Freak, and The Drive LT. My evo drove the rage extreme thru a doe tonight...she didnt go 50 yards and watched her go down...love my pse!

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Congrats Justin! It almost makes me want to get out my Ben Pearson Signature take down recurve and 125 grain broadheads and get back out there :yes:  That's how long it has been since I've hunted :)  Les

Edited by Sk8man

Way to go Justin! Like my PSE as well! I am looking at those models. I like the Source, a lot like the Hammer and EVO. After today, I'll be out there with my old "caveman" bow. Might have to be a ground pounder though. Not sure what's up with the knee joint, but it might not like using my climber. I got a pop-up, never used it, but I'll see what it does this time maybe.

Good job on the venison gathering!

Mark

okay I've been hunting with a PSE that dates back to 1996 ...yeah I know I'm like Arnold Schwarzenegger using the bow made from a tree to shoot the predator with...LOL! I'm tall, wide, have a wide wingspan and I drag my knuckles, so I'm looking for a bow that seems to be only about 5 percent of the market..a 31 inch draw or longer.

Some of you archers out there are giants... what do you use, what brand, what bow do you recommend pros/cons... cuz I'm in the market for an upgrade. thanks Mark

BowTech's Invasion CPXL specifically for long draw lengths.  I have shot that long with the carbon knight and they so smooth it isn't right.  I currently shoot a 2007 BowTech Tribute and my wife shoots a 2006.  BowTech makes some of the best bows and are priced competitively along other major brands.

My father-in-law has a 31.5" draw length with string loop and shoots the Mathew's Reezen 7.0 another great bow.  I finished off a buck I shot last year with his bow (I'm only a 28.5" draw length) and it is a nice shooting bow.

I used to own a PSE Nova when they first came out before I upgraded to the 2006 tribute my wife now uses.  It was an OK bow at best.  I haven't really found a PSE I like, not saying they aren't good bows I just don't like their feel or the way they draw.

Thanks Chas! I'll be sure to look at the Bowtech line. I hope I can find all these bows in a pro shop so I can make a good comparison for my style. I have a use for a long axle as well as short axle, but one all around would be a good start. I might be hunting ground blind more these days. I hate feeling old!...I'm not, but feel that way! LOL! Inside is a 29 year old. Outside is twice that ..dammit! :angry:

Thanks Chas! I'll be sure to look at the Bowtech line. I hope I can find all these bows in a pro shop so I can make a good comparison for my style. I have a use for a long axle as well as short axle, but one all around would be a good start. I might be hunting ground blind more these days. I hate feeling old!...I'm not, but feel that way! LOL! Inside is a 29 year old. Outside is twice that ..dammit! :angry:

The shop you buy from might sell your old bow on consignment...Might not get ya much but it would be worth a shot.

Chas is right about the PSE draw cycle...its not easy, but getting better. I shot a 90 pound hoyt when i started over 20 years ago, then an 80 pound hoyt so the draw isnt an issue for me personally, but i definitely LOVE all 3 dream seasons we have and the DNA is unreal fast, light and amazingly smooth to shoot other than the draw.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app