What to do when injured?

rolmops

I know ,this sounds like a strange subject for fishing,but I just had a near death experience (I am fine now) and it got me to think about my wife being stuck with all my gear and not knowing what to do with it.

If she would have to sell boat and gear she would have no idea about its value. Did any of you good people have to face a similar experience and how did you solve the situation,or do you have any idea about how you would like to solve it?

Thanks,Cornelis.

Sorry to hear! I fear the day that happens. I have talked about this with friends before. My friends told me, don't worry I will clean out your house for you free of charge.

On a more serious note, I guess a will should include it?

Nick

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Cornelis:

First, I am glad you re ok. 

Well, I do share the same concerns as you did. This is simply just because I have never told my wife how much I ve actually paid for all of these fishing gears. This is like a catch 22. If my wife had found out about what I have spent, then I cannot continue to spend money like this anymore. On the other hand, keep it under the wraps, this should not matter much after all because you cannot bring your best toys with you to the next life.

Be safe.

Anthony

Whooo, horse what the hell happened, I'm sitting here recovering from back surgery, got to meet the doc for the first time in 3 weeks, and things didn't quite go the way I was hoping. So still a little in shock from that trip, sitting here wondering what the hell I'm going to do, I have to go back in 3 weeks to see if any improvement is made, kind a in the dumps. Then I see this and wonder what would make a man start a thread of this magnitude? I know you say your alright now that's good!! Then you think that some one else almost died. How bad can my situation be?? Either way it sucks, hope for the best and go with it!!!  I know years back when we first got married we went to a attorney and had a will made up, because of the my daughters age 8 and there was no way this rotten tax engulfing state was going to get anything we worked our butts off for and put things in the girls name already so they don't have to pay inheritance tax, but yea my fishing stuff goes to one and my guns go to the other, just hope they don't change what they like to do. At least is theirs and not the states!!

Thank you for your concern and Pop.Get better soon.

I guess my main concern would not be my demise ,but I do worry about my wife getting ripped off if she has to face that situation unprepared

Thank you for your concern and Pop.Get better soon.

I guess my main concern would not be my demise ,but I do worry about my wife getting ripped off if she has to face that situation unprepared

What a buddy of mine did was write everything down what is worth, don't drive yourself nuts with every little thing but the majority of the bigger things and what people would be after, with it's value and gave it to relation so if the day came she wouldn't be bombarded with the whole life/death thing, believe me, people are ruthless when it come to stuff like that. I saw greed take over with my own family, my two sisters, the one well she's no longer my sister, just for an instance!! the majority will be very understanding and there will be a few who will walk all over her if she's not prepared. If you think she will have a bird when she know the value or what you spent, then give it to someone you can trust, and maybe there for her also when the time comes. Hope this help. It's only 5 years since my dad passed, I would trade most anything for one more day. But wouldn't want to go through that day again.

Glad your doing well. I think many of us hope that it wouldn't be sold for what we told our wives we paid for it. :lol: I have some good friends that I hope would help her and my kids decide to do with what my family did not want. It's amazing what you accumulate over a lifetime.

Glad your doing well. I think many of us hope that it wouldn't be sold for what we told our wives we paid for it. :lol: I have some good friends that I hope would help her and my kids decide to do with what my family did not want. It's amazing what you accumulate over a lifetime.

The wheel of fortune has stopped either side of my number before.  Your friends should help your wife strighten things out if need be.  PS  they tell me traveler checks won't work on the other side  :lol:

Actually I do take my wife fishing and hunting and she's pretty good but only likes to go on nice days. She really isn't very interested in the gear aspect and prefers me to outfit her, be her guide and sit with her. However, she has harvested 7 deer and 9 turkeys and caught a nice salmon last year!  Very memorable days.

Actually I do take my wife fishing and hunting and she's pretty good but only likes to go on nice days. She really isn't very interested in the gear aspect and prefers me to outfit her, be her guide and sit with her. However, she has harvested 7 deer and 9 turkeys and caught a nice salmon last year!  Very memorable days.

You and me both. My wife loves to still fish but hates trolling.  I on the other hand hate still fishing and love trolling.  I am damn good at bass and perch fishing but just hate doing it then on the other end I am mediocre at best when salmon trolling (walleye trolling I catch fish and generally a good amount.).  I mean I can sit there for an hour and catch some perch for dinner but that is about all I can take. 

OP I have had my wife there with me when it came to buying everything (for the most part) and she knows what I paid.  The ironic thing is she is still married to me after seeing what I spend.  I would make a list of what things are and expected value as of this coming year.  Obviously depreciation will happen over the years but if she knows what it is and can search google she should be able to come up with a fair price. If she can't do it maybe one of your kids/close friends/relative can do it.

Edited by Chas0218

Cornelis, glad to hear you are ok! Your post triggered me to update my will. Pap, I too had a procedure done on my lower back that went south. My younger son has many good memories from fishing and boating. I will split the boats and equipment with both sons. Hopefully, they will become L.O.U. members, and see what equipment is selling for, what to keep, etc. Maybe they can help someone not so fortunate, into entry level of fishing/trolling. I guess it comes down to sentimental value. You certainly can't put a price tag on that. Besides, like I told them both:"I have never seen a fully rigged boat being towed behind a hearse......or an armored truck following it."  Stay warm and healthy this winter! Steve..........