Meat rigs/cutbait:What's your take? (Discussion)

Sk8man

• 4 weeks later...

We messed around with meat rigs a few times during August this year on lake O. It was deadly for a day, then not so much. After reading this thread, I have picked up some things we did right and wrong. I thank you all very much. Now... One thing we did was use a "standard" 36" leader behind an 11" flasher. I know everyone says try everything, but can we get some recommendations on what leader lengths work? Any more info on this would be much appreciated.

Barndog

Barndog,

for a multi species spread during the spring and early summer leaders of 48" - 60" particularly with teasers/twinkies.  Late summer/fall for staging kings, I like them clean (no teasers) on a 72" leader,  and troll slow(1.7-2.0 at ball)

Tim

And there you have it.....the secret to success...seasonal adjustments in both speed and distance and "to tease or not to tease". Thanks Tim. Great info as always. Les

Not often, the only time I've lost any was when the toothpick pinning it into the head got ripped out.  One of the rockets in one of my pics earlier in this thread has close to a dozen fish on it and is still good as new.

Tim

Tim,

Do your order direct from them or is there a better source?  $13 shipping seems steep for a few of them things.

Yes, I know the shipping is a little expensive, coming from Canada.  From what I understand, Mike is pretty much a one man show working out of his house.  I've never placed an order where he didn't throw in a couple free ones, so that kind of offsets the shipping costs a little.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

some really great info I'm looking forward to trying bait  this year. One question can you run bait with other rigs like spoons or should you keep everything in bait? I have 3 down riggers, boards and so forth.

Sticking with the cutbait theme, Isee that there are many choices for "Meatheads" for herring strips. What are some favorites and why? Any info or opinionswould be appreciated. Thanks.

Randy

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Barndog I've been using cut bait for over thirty years and it's always my first rod and deepest rod down. As said before Rhys Davis was the best cut bait on the market. I've been Pro Staff for Hot Spot for about the same time and I run my cut bait with their "Rollerbaiter" about five feet behind an 11" Flasher, usually a Hot Spot Bullfrog or White Lightning. The Rollerbater comes with the leader attached and is equipped with a rudder so you don't have to waste time at the side of the boat to check on the correct roll. It comes in three sizes but the correct one for cut bait is the number 3.

• 3 months later...

Ok, so I bought some Big Weenie heads made for cutbait and strips and tied my own rigs. I also bought a a premade rig with the twinkie teasers. I tied some tournament ties the same as whats used with Atomiks and some single treble rigs. Gonna give it a real go and I will post how I make out later in the season. Good luck and tight lines to all this season!!!

Randy

has anyone ever used the whole alewives from GLT??  Do they fit into the 'standard' whole bait head (like BW)??

GLTS sells heads that the whole Alewives fit into nicely.  They wont fit in a standard cut bait head.  I've used the GTLS Familiar Bite Whole alewives and done well with them.  The problem with them is it is touchy tuning them to roll properly, the single hook on  the harness gets inserted into the alewife near the tail and the line gets pulled through the head to put a curve in the fish, which is what gives it the rolling action.  Getting that right can be tricky, but when you do it works great.  I've found the smaller red label alewives easier to tune correctly than the larger green label ones.

Tim