Meat rigs/cutbait:What's your take? (Discussion)

Sk8man

I never noticed much of a difference rigging between the whole bait and the strips.  What size whole bait did you get??  Try a smaller tray next time.  Should work out better.

They weren't color sized.  I bought them at Larrys in OZ.  He caught them out of the harbor.  They were pretty big!

Thanks for starting this thread Sk8man. It brings back memories of dragging the cowbell rigs with a sawbelly off a victrola on Seneca for lakers about 50 years ago. I was fishing with Spence DeVito, a guy that taught for my dad in Phelps, and a legendary fisherman at that time. He later moved to Alaska where he guided.

Thanks Kev. I sure remember Spence.....incredible fisherman here on Seneca and in Alaska. The great thing about the way this thread turned out is that so many great knowledgeable people contributed to it with "specifics" and solid questions. It is a learning experience for everyone and a "win win": for all and especially to newcomers to the site or to fishing. Thanks to all who contributed. Les

One other question, if using a bait head rig like a Rhys Davis, when you rig the meat, what do you do to 'tune' it to roll? I heard you need to insert a piece of wire into the meat, is that accurate? Or does the bait head roll on its own?

I dont have nearly the experience of most guys on here but had good success last year on whole brined herring run behind a Big Weenie rig and Kingfisher flasher. I also add a 2 inch strip of meat to my Atomik flies. The added scent/profile really seemed to make a difference, especially when the bite was tough. Just be sure to keep the meat strip small enough so it doesnt effect the action of the fly.

One other question, if using a bait head rig like a Rhys Davis, when you rig the meat, what do you do to 'tune' it to roll? I heard you need to insert a piece of wire into the meat, is that accurate? Or does the bait head roll on its own?

There are different ways of doing it but you want it to "roll" regardless... some folks do place a stiff wire in it and bend it, but many merely tighten the line going through it "cinching  it" until it achieves the desired effect.

Edited by Sk8man

I have had my best luck w/ a glo Rhys Davis head. I Tie a 1/0 EC 374 treb w/ 25 # mono.I bend the tail of the head down to get the roll action. Also adjust  the distance from the head to hook. It can be touchy to get right.But being real bait,I think there is some forgiveness .

• 2 weeks later...

What is the difference with running a 'slasher' style paddle for meat rigs compared to the standard style? Are these better for running these rigs? It seems like from past posts and pics, the standard paddles are used in a larger (11") size, just wondering what this slasher paddle has for benefits in using them.

Thanks!

What is the difference with running a 'slasher' style paddle for meat rigs compared to the standard style? Are these better for running these rigs? It seems like from past posts and pics, the standard paddles are used in a larger (11") size, just wondering what this slasher paddle has for benefits in using them.

Thanks!

It's the same as a pro-troll vs spin dr debate.  Just personal preference.

• 8 months later...

2015 we are going to get into running meat more did OK with mc rockets and slasher type paddles the steel head seemed to like them on the coppers but never had much success on the dipsy or riggers ... I think our leads between the dipsy and flasher are off from what I have read. Ours were usually around 6-8 ft seems like I have seen 10 ft posted between dipsy and flasher

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

one option to tune your bait heads is to use hot water. Take one of heads that has a good roll/bend to it already and use that as a template. I microwave water for about 2 minutes and it does the trick, After awhile you can eye ball them and getting them really close  

Edited by bout time

I am a believer that the real inciter to the meat presentation is what we refer to as the death roll. I think sometimes we may get too caught up in the scent and color aspect. Get that death roll right and you will catch fish on rubber, herring, salmon bellies, whatever you have. IMO, it's all about imitating the death roll of an injured fish. I'm not suggesting the other stuff doesn't matter, but without the correct roll you won't have much success.

I use both meat and MC Rockets. Both work great. If rockets out fish your real meat than most likely it's because you were able to generate the roll the fish wanted that day with the Rocket.

Edited by Fishtails

A tip I learned from Mike (Rocketman) when he fished with us a few springs ago is when using MC Rockets, using a clear Rhys Davies baithead  Mike prefers to straiten the bend out of the baithead and that way only the Rocket is used to create the roll. We then keep a rod handy with the sole purpose of tuning the Rocket.  When tuning an MC Rocket, do so WITHOUT the flasher so the flasher isn't influencing the roll. When you are satisfied with the roll, attach it to the flasher and deploy.  MC Rockets do catch fish, but my one peeve is that when a Rocket takes a hit and miss it's out of commission until you bring it to the boat and re tune the roll. Nothing is perfect, right?  

For that reason I don't usually run them on long coppers. Personally, I prefer real meat on my long coppers.  Also, if you didn't see the hit and miss, you are fishing a rig that won't catch a fish until it's re tuned and that can be an issue tournament fishing when you may only have 6 rods in the water. A Rocket is an awesome rig on your deep rigger !

All that being said, they catch fish and many times the biggest fish of the trip.

2011-04-27_10-43-53_976_zpsxw5pcnvi.jpg

Another thing I'll do with meat to change it up a little is I tie up my flies with a clear west coast style anchovy bait head between the fly and hooks.  Then I can add a trimmed strip of meat to my fly easy with no fuss.  I find this works great once kings begin staging later in the season and their sniffer is in high sensory mode. Earlier in the season or on younger kings I haven't seen a big advantage of adding meat to the fly.  

Here's a pic of my homemade meat fly rig. 

2011-09-02_19-30-31_109.jpg

Edited by Fishtails

Great Jeff. You should find just about everything here thanks to these generous folks who have contributed a number of different ideas.  Hopefully we can get together again this season for some king action or even Finger lakes fun :)