Sodus Report 2-23

Finders Keepers

Got out on the ice Saturday with a buddy of mine from 8am until about 3:30pm. We fished the area halfway between LeRoy and Newark islands in about 25 fow, where we had a good foot of ice. We ended up with about 50 decent jack perch (10-14") and two northerns (8 and 10 lbs). Perch came on swedish dimples tipped with minnows and the pike came on shiners set 1' off the bottom.

Fished last sat. from sun up till 1pm off Shaiker and got a limmit of 10 to14 inch perch. I found them in the 25 fow range. They hit just off the bottom with any jig white with a minnow. And ps the pike liked this set up also, cost me some jigs........ :lol:

FK, we fished off Eagle Island in 35fow Sat. did well on big one's. The bite was slowing down from what it was, Monday was not good for us and it looked like most everyone was looking. I fished Port Bay about two weeks ago and only got dinks. Was wondering if the big ones were in there.

Nice! I've heard of other guys doing well off of the south end of Eagle Island and out where we were on a fairly consistant basis. I was happily surprised to see the pike out in such deep waters, I have always expected them to be in the shallows near weed beds.

If you want big pike get out in that deep water with tipups and big minnows on wire leaders. I don't fish fore them but have brought some big ones up under the ice before they broke my 4lb. test. If you don't have a wheeler its a long walk out. theres no fish in Livingston Co.

Chris - Yeah, the past 4 or five years have been poor for pike, but this year seems to be much better. I have also seen less small perch and more of the keepers, which may be helping the pike bite.

W.W.IV. - When you say the dep waters, where are you refering? Way out past Eagle towards the center of the bay? I used to fish in front of the old coal trussel and do quite well several years back, but the last few years it has been dry there. It seems that the most productive area has been between LeRoy, Eagle and Newark islands.

Finders Keepers, I go out at the creek on the west side of Shaker. We generally go out past the point of Shaker,thats about 35fow. We had to bite off sat. Hope that helps.The fishing was tough the last week,if you worked at it you can still get a good catch. Good luck.

Sat. I was out off grassy point in about 7 fow with my son, and we slamed the perch. We brought home 42 all 10 to 14 inches, and put back anything smaller. I think the perch are moving in to eat the fry??????? This year has been a good perch season,!!!!!!!!!! And yes the pike cost me more jigs, Had 2 on with 4# line and they won. Try fishing on the bottem with a minnow on a white glow jig and fish up until you find the big ones. Sat they were up about 2ft off the bottem.

jvd, haven't fished back in there this season,the big one's were hitting so well out deep we stayed out there. the big guys layed on bottom and when they hit you barely saw the rod tip move and you had to feel to see if they were there. Like you said glow jig and minnows. It must have been sloppy out there today. I may try it thursday.

Jolly,It's cheaper to live closer to work and and waste the gas on important thinks like hunting and fishing. I like to fish Sodus because there plenty of room for everyone to fish, could be more parking. Sounds like you may be looking to move as soon as you can. Hope you can make it to the Bay once before the good ice goes the h..ll. Sea Ya There.