rubber band sliders

This year I will be doing alot of fishing by my self, and I would like to use sliders or some other way to get more bait in the water with only 2 poles off the downriggers. I have only heard of rubber bands but I do not know how to rig it. I would like to have the slider lock :?:

Set your main bait on the downrigger and drop it down to the desired depth where you want to place the stacker. Then take the rubber band and hook it to your downrigger cable with a half hitch, you wrap the rubber band around the cable and put one end back through the rubber band. This allows you to snug it up on the downrigger cable leaving a loop of rubber band hanging off it. You take your slider swivel and clip it on the main line and also clip it on the loop of the rubber band. This places your slider on your main line but it also tacks it to your downrigger cable. When a fish hits it, it will stick the hook because the fish has to break the rubber band. If a bottom lure hits a fish, it too will break the rubber band.

You can also put the rigger down to where you want the 2nd lure then half hitch a rubber band on the main line and hook the snap lock to the rubber band and your good to go. This is how I run my stacker now Yankee Troller showed me how to do this last year and it works for me. Either way works. Good luck. By the way welcome to the site. Great bunch of guys I have learned allot here.

half hitch a rubber band on the main line and hook the snap lock to the rubber band and your good to go.

Don't forget to hook your snap on the slider to your main line also....or bye bye lure when a fishy strikes !! But Yep.....Erin's way works also.

I think you get a better hook set attaching to the cable because there isn't the stretch that you will get attaching to your main line. Just personal preference and both ways get the job done!!

i use the free slider 99.9% of the time.my reasioning is the extra action as the boat rocks the bow in your line moves from a little to several feet sorta a jiggin action to your spoon (eratic like a wounded biat fish)it also changes in depth a little ,now for the comments of catching that fish ,if ya got a sharp hook and let the fish release and hook itself (I) land more fished hooked than running back ripping the rod outa the holder winding like crazy and setting the hook.for some thats part of the fishing experience,for me thats just one more time i have to put down my frosty beverage to reset my rigger specially when your alone in bumpy waters then you have the (hate to think about it) chance of spilling your beer ;( but then you can open a fresh one too.........hmmmmmmmmmm maybe i will start jumping for the rod(fishing pole)

The only problem with a free slider is you really dont know where it is and can be in empty water. If the fish are at 100' down and you put a free slider out it will probably only get to 50. On a side note that is where the big steelies might be and the reason why I dont get them :lol:

the liberators work ok but take longer to set and as they age they get really tight to rotate .and you can buy many rubbers for the price of 1 lib....BUT AS A REMINDER to all who use rubberbands including me to hold rods togeather in storage 1 broken rubberband in your bilge pump will be a problem at the most needed time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fishtails thanks I guess that would help doing it your way :mrgreen: I should have said it better.Good catch. I use cannon rubber bands they come in red for light line and skin color for heavy line.

P.S. Keating said to use #19 size bands. You can find them at staples or office max etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Ray :shock: The Liberators do get tight and can be a pain in the you know what when you get a fish on the main line and need to get that Liberator off in a hurry. I do use both at times

• 2 weeks later...

We use a different method that we think works a little bit better than the rubberbands. We will strip 16 gauge wire into coating strip about three inches long. We then cut a hole in the center of the strip. Next we put a bead on the main line and then insert then end through the wire coating. When the line reaches the hole we pull it out and put it through the split ring on a swivel and then insert the line back through the other half of the coating. we then attach a swivel and a leader. the slider line is attached to the swivel sticking out of the coating. To setup we hold the coating and pull desired amount of main line through and then attach to the ball. we then hold the lure on the slider and put the ball down around 10-20 feet. At this point we stop the rigger and toss the slider lure over, then set it to desired depth. If we cut the hole in the plastic on the boat we just use fingernail clippers but usually make them in the winter using a small, round peice of metal. we line up about 20 peices of plastic and then heat the metal with a torch and then quickly melt the hole in place. The bead on the top allows you to reel the slider down without damaging the plastics. Sorry about being so long winded, hope this helps.

PqsiHRA.jpg