Old school me, finally understanding peoples passion for the Tigers

Being laid up I definitely hade time to do some research on the love and hate that comes with the tiger musky. It seems that the guys that fish a lot for muskies do as much research on the muskies habitat and it's ways of survival as a good walleye fisherman. These fish can grow to tremendous sizes. Most muskies that I did the research on and the fishing shows I watched were on big river systems surprisingly, the St Lawrence river, where the show I watched on the fishing channel was where they told you where to look for the toothy critters, much like the trout they tend to venture into slack water seeking for a easy meal. They unlike their cousin musky don't live as long but are at the top of the food chain. They definitely are a interesting fish to say the least. This has changed my outlook on the musky "Tiger" and that figure 8 thing they do really does work, who would think? they are in a lot of lakes also but the ones that grow to 50" plus so they say are more likely to be in big river systems because there is so much more area for them to be or unknown where they will be, where in a lake system it seldom changes much unlike the rivers, floods ect. Once one figures out a lake and understands the musky it is more likely to be caught and if not released it's gone forever!!  It must be a real feel of accomplishment to catch one of these vicious fish, just to see someone get thrashed about the boat trying to land one of these fish is exciting sitting on the couch, many of these fish are caught close to the boat and still it takes some time till it's landed, unlike having a 150ft of line out it seems to take the same amount of time and talent so they don't come off the hook. A look at the lures they use is something out of the ordinary also, you don't go to Walmart for one of those lures, I put perch in the box smaller than most of the lures some of you guys use. Congrats, to anyone that lands one of these fresh water sharks.

Wow, nice pain- killer-induced essay PAP's!! :yes:  :bandit:

LOL that's funny, but ya they help thank!!  I try. devoknevo, my mothers name is Henrietta, that's an unusual name, so when I see it or hear the name it gets my attention!!

Edited by pap

I've never caught a tiger over 32", but many that size and smaller. I must say, their beauty is something to behold when the sun hits them. The various shades of iridescent blues and greens is stunning. Truly one of nature's objects of beauty. When we see its a tiger on the end of the line instead of a pike, everyone gets excited, even if its small.

LOL that's funny, but ya they help thank!!  I try. devoknevo, my mothers name is Henrietta, that's an unusual name, so when I see it or hear the name it gets my attention!!

Ha! I saw you were laid up and I've done some cool/wierd stuff too when recovering. Get well soon.

Seriously though, the Tigers are a beutifull fish. We catch some out of Conesus "speed Trolling" at 5mph! (and ice fishing).