keuka lake trout

hey everyone. this is my first post because i just found this site. i live in SE PA and am heading up to Keuka for the weekend. i usually jig out of Hammondsport and was wondering how the fish are biting. thanks for any info and i will post reports as soon as i get back. 

I've read some reports from a charter that does almost all jigging for lake trout.  He takes his clients to any of the finger lakes, but has been on Keuka twice last week.  I've copied his reports and posted below, but you can look up past reports on his website, or even give him a call/email him.  Very nice guy and always willing to help.

Keuka Lake 10/25 + 26

Fishing for lake trout remains excellent on Keuka Lake.  The lake level is starting to drop but launching remains a cinch.   Fished out of the State Park yesterday and Hammondsport today. 

10/25:  Did a full day with Mike and Koen (from Belgium!)    They joined me a couple years ago for some laker jigging out of Sampson.  They've had some decent fishing this season on Seneca and were looking to get out on Keuka.  These guys do some saltwater vertical jigging as well and brought along some different styles of jigs and equipment.

The bite started out slow, but somewhat steady in Branchport with around 2 to 3 fish landed.   Good numbers of lakers and bait were around.   I prefer the Bluff oftentimes for many reasons and we made the run there after 2 hours.   Fishing gradually picked up and the guys wound up landing and releasing a nice bunch of lakers to 24".   I think 23 fish were landed, so action was generally very good.   The plastics worked best, but fish came on a few other jig types as well.    The Bluff area continues to hold a lot of bait!   Surface temps are in the upper 50s.

10/26 AM:  I had to shuffle a few trips around due to cancellations and a late booking, but all worked well.   I met Don, his brother Bruce and Don's son Don at the Hotel at 7:45.   We knew the winds were forecast to gust up to 40 mph out of the south, so I wouldn't have launched anywhere else!   Going early was a good call and the winds were good for the first two hours.   The bite went really well today, despite being confined to the lower part of the lake.   We never ventured more than 1/2 mile north.   The guys landed 13 solid fish including a 24"+ fatty.    We are releasing our largest Keuka fish in hopes they get even bigger.  

We had a really good time and Bruce fishes Lake Superior a bit for lakers and I'm psyched to see how he does with the jigging up there.  He said that the Keuka fish were very reminiscient of Lake Superior lake trout.    The bite slowed a little after the wind kicked up big-time, but the fish were still hitting and we caught fish until we quit.    We saw two other boats out.   That was it!

Edited by Guppy35

Make no mistake about it !! One can get skunked on a trip to Keuka. It happened recently after the Captain's report, and believe me we het everything in the jig box. Then we went out this last Tuesdaya and had a bunch in all sizes. So, a grain of salt, no ?

thanks for the info guys. thanks for the website guppy. stuff like that comes in handy cause i live so far away and can only come up a handful of weekends. i personally have never gotten skunked on keuka, but several times i have fished all day and only came away with 1 fish. i am bringing some guys who never fished for lake trout before and im really hoping we can get into them so they can see what a good day on keuka is like.

You should all chip in and get John Gaulke the master jigging guide to give you all the best chance of getting the job done, and then go your own way. We did, and it worked. Good luck.....and the Keuka CAVIAR is in the fridge for a few days to settle, and then some cream cheese on crackers, lake trout caviar on top  and chardonnay . Youzza !! life is good in the Fingers.

One trip with JohnGaulke on Keuka and you will be off and running. On the other hand, dropping a sharp 1 oz. jig with a white Linker City Shaker to the bottom 90-110 fow and reeling back to the surface should get you some mighty tasty lakers right now. Lot of hungry lakers around the end of the bluff this time of year. Google cayugafisher for excellent jigs and Linker City Shakers.

Keuka is a great laker fishery, but you can have dead days as well.. Over the years, I have a had a few skunks, and a few 1 or 2 fish days.. Like anywhere else, there are days when you'll see fish stacked up everywhere on your FF , and they will hit nothing.. Other days they shut off by 9 am after you catch a few.. once in a while its lights out all day, sore arms, but thats not an every day occurance.. Lots and lots  of lakers there,  very good to  very excellent fishing, but   there are no guarantees.. I have had some tough days on that lake as well as some very good ones....

For anyone that tried the link that i posted for John Gaulke's website, i heard it was referring people to an unrelated website.  I talked to John this morning and he said he was having some issues with his hosting company and that it should be back up and running later in the week.

just got back from the weekend and had a pretty good weekend in all. saturday started out in hammondsport and worked my way to the bluff. i didnt find many fish on the south end but found more the closer to the bluff i got. had to work for the fish we got and only ended up with seven. sunday went out of penn yan and there were fish everywhere. we boated 24 by 930 and missed a bunch more. it was the best day i have had out there. thanks for all the help and tips.