BAN LPG

It seems that a bunch of years ago there was a storage cave for LPG under Seneca Lake near Ithica that was closed. Now they want open another one in an abandonded salt mine 2 miles north of Watkins Glen and use it to store LPG,but as everybody knows,fracking in NY may be just around the corner. Fracking causes minor earthquakes which is not good when you store gas in a cave. Another reason for the protest is that it is very easy to store LNG instead of LPG and this would be nice for storing fracked gas. That makes it a target for the anti fracking crowd.

In a nutshell: The people who stand to make money of it are pro and the people who live there and will see no financial benefits but bear the risk of accidents are anti.

Edited by rolmops

There won't be any fracking around the Tompkins county area. No gas worth going for. I read the geologic survey. Most of it the gas is in the southern tier close to pa. The further north u go, the less gas there is.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There is a facility on RT14 that has been doing this for 50 years without a problem. They want to build a new and larger facility in the salt caverns- a very stable formation. I have some problems regarding the design of their above ground brine ponds, but I think that the ponds could be  built safely. There was a DEC public comment period and they are reviewing the project.

The Ithaca crowd that is against everything has been protesting this ( and some have been getting arrested).

Because NY lacks propane infrastructure we pay double the national average for propane- or in my case, burn dirtier fuels (out of necessity).

I'm sick and tired of people in this state telling me how to use my property, what fuels I have to use, and how many bullets I can load in my guns.....

I totally agree with bigfoot. I've lived in the town of Reading most of my 62 years and bought the town78 acres I grew up on. I heat with L.P. and spy all year for it. Kinda sucks when the cost could be but tremendously by storing it here.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I believe that people should be able to use their land as they see fit. The anti fracking people are costing me hundreds of thousands of dollars. I own a significant amount of acres in Broome county and will most likely retire when the right lease is signed. As for the LP. Store it if it can be done safely. Also, investigate propane coops, I just filled my 1000 lbs tank at 1.85 per gal. Sure beats the going rate of $3.50 and up. Lastly, if we continue to stop every single business that wants to be prosperous in NY, be prepared to watch your taxes go up and up. But I suppose you anti frack and anti LP will probably be anti tax increase. You can't have your cake and eat it too!! Sorry for the rant.

I knew it meant propane I was just making sure that was in fact what you were referring to !

My world is filled with acronyms.

Thanks!

Tim

Thanks guys for the interesting replies, pros. and cons.

Mower, hope you get to retire soon. :) .

Edited by W.W.IV.