October 30,2013 - BOQ Fishing Report

On Tuesday, Laker John, My Dad and I were off to take the "Superdad' to MP Marine for winterization and on the way, John asked me, "When are we going fishing?" I said, " how about tomorrow, the winds are supposed to be light."  That's how the fishing was planned.

On Wednesday, we picked the boat and stuff from my place and headed to the ramp and then towards the Batcave, where we figured to do some trolling and see what we could see in the water.

We started trolling at 1000 hrs, heading east, we trolled for an hour and never had a strike. We did notice that the wtaer temp was 56 degs F and that as we moved out into deeeper water, we began to see signs of fish below us.

IMG_1769-GraphShot-4x6_zps5ef63067.jpg

Looks like they're there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After an hour, we decided to motor to the Gap and check that out. Got there and set the rods and found ourselves in 18' of water, headed out to deeper water and found ourselves in 50'. The the outer board with the lead core fired and John was into a fish.I handled the inner rod and board and the net. John brought the fish slowly to the boat and I slipped the net under a nice walleye. The fish was 24.5 inches and weighed 5.5 lbs. The three colour lead core with a Ripstick ( discontinued colour) was a success.

IMG_1770-LakerJohn-245inch-4x6_zps00d254

We are beginning to have confidence in the lead core.

We continued to troll the same basic line, learning the depths. We ended up after a turn in 16' of water, watching the lines like a hawk, don't wish to hook the bottom, then we started to drop into deeper water and it looked like the inner board might have scraped the bottom as the flag was bouncing, better check that out..... Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I brought the board in and as John grabbed it the fish lunged and pulled the line out of the back clip - WHOA!!!!! Brought the fish to the net and John brought the bonus catch aboard.  This one took the LIve Target Perch lure.

A nice 16 inch SM Bass weighing 2.5lbs - something we weren't expecting.

IMG_1773-BonusCatch-4x6_zps51b726f5.jpg

Released the bass and we kept fishing.

After a while, we made another turn and heading back to the troling line, the inside board fired and John had a fish on, he was bringing the board in and then the outer board (Same Side) fired - DOUBLE HEADER!!!!!!!!!!!

John brought the board in and I got it off, while the other rod was still in the holder, can't do very much. John bought a 14 inch SM Bass and Live Target Perch and and I took the other rod. Just as John as reaching for the board, the line went slack - DARNNNNNNNNNNN The line was clean cut - must have been a pike.....

We were three for four with a lost Ripstick.

Trolled around the Gap checking out the structure, watching boats far off on the horizon and some getting closer.

Decided at 1500 hrs that we should motor back as we had a ride of 8-10 miles. We thought we might have time to make one trolling pass before we landed but the length of the run-in decided that we would land and head home.

Fished an area we hadn't fished seriously in eight years (tried spring brown/lake trout fishing - wait til next year!!!!!!) and reminded ourselves about light penetration.The water in the Gap is very very clear...

Don't know when we're back out (depends on the weather) - Stay Tuned.

David aka  Superdad

• 1 month later...