Oil and water in u joint bellows

I have a mercuiser alpha one 5.0 in which I got drive oil and water that came into the bilge throught the gimble bearing.

Last year I had water in my gear can it cracked. I found the freese plug popped and had lower unit welded. Changed the oil after 10 hours and no issues (wanted to make sure all ok after having it welded).

Went to change the oil yesterday and only water came out. I pulled the outdrive and there was a ton of water and oil in the u joint bellows. I did have some water in the bilge last year when running however not enough to set off ant alarms and assumed it was rain water from the forward section.

The questions I have is how can u get both water and drive oil come through the gimbal bearing? Do I have internal cracks between the input housing and water passages? Is it repairable or just replace the outdrive?

Thanks in advance

Tim

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sure you can,but not from the same place.

First you have to replace your or reattach your bellows ( I would go with replacing).

Next you must take off your lower unit and take it apart to see whether the gears have rust on them and to replace the seals specially around the prop.

When that is all done put the lower unit back on and use new fiberglass washers when you screw the ol plug screws back in.

If that is above your  DIY level,I would suggest you get in touch with a marine mechanic.

Good luck.

Last year when I had the bullet on the lower unit welded. The guy (welds aluminum racing heads) used some type of paste that absorbs heat. He was able to hold the back side of the housing with bare hands. I replaced all bellows and intake hose last year. The oil plug screws do have fiber washers. I did not have the unit pressure tested. I guess that should be/have been my first step to determine where the leak is.

Ps. I used to be a marine mechanic many years ago however never did many outdrives. If the prop seals are bad, I'll leave that to rhe modern day mexhanoc. Donr want to deal with the special tools required for shimming and alignment.

Found how the water and drive oil made it into the bellows and inside the bilge. The upped drive yoke seals are bad. Couldnt do pressure test because they were so bad (assumed that was the only way oil could get into the bellows). There are no obvious signs on the outside of the drive regarding how the water got into the prop housing. Is there a way to test the water system to check for internal cracks? Ill do another pressure test after I replace the upper seals to check the prop shaft seals.

Jimski, I will be pressure/vacuum testing the lower unit. Just split the 2 drives last night and popped the top cover off. Didn't see anything to cause concern at this point. Very good news is no rust at all. I will have to flush out both drives. Can I use a general parts cleaner or is there a cleaner for marine systems? Only thing I have found that is 100 % bad is the yoke seals.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the outdrive back together and she holds 15psi pressure and 7in of vacuum. Found the upper drive seal blown out. Not too bad of a job at all. All bearings and gears were clean and no corrosion. Had to only buy the upper bearing retainer nut wrench which I got off ebay for $16. Total cost of upper seal replacement was $50 including buying the special bearing wrench.

I believe the water came from the water supply oring between outdrive and gimble ring. But will have to wait till spring to make sure.

I had the same problem with my boat last season. Gear oil in the bilge seeped up through the bellows. Replaced the seals and a new "gear end yoke" and I was back in business

Thanks

Al

HOOKNUP 2

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app