ticks ticks ticks

maisie

I hunt in Ontario and Wolcott and just about every time I come out of the woods there is a tick on me or my clothing.  Gack, I was under the impression that a hard frost, which we had, would get rid of them.  I guess not.  Any thoughts on how to be Tick free?

Maisie

Not sure of any ways to be tick free other than avoiding the woods and fields altogether, which isn't really an option for most of us :) .  I read a blog by a guy from Corning that hunts Addison area for pheasants a lot, and said the last two times he's been out he's picked a couple off himself and between 30 - 40 from his two dogs.  Kind of a scary thing with them being carriers of Lyme Disease.

We have a problem with them where we hunt as well. W e sprayed all of our clothing with the permathrin( or spelled a little different) tick replant from walmart

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It seems to have helped when we get one again we spray our clothes again. And u can get it at dicks too. But walmart is cheaper. it is like a yellow bottle.

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ticks were abundant this year  our farm was loaded with them this year. They have to be on your skin and imbedded for 24 hours and have the lime virus before it becomes a issue.

Edited by bigblue

Big ticks are generally easy to see, it's the nymphs that don't leave the characteristic bite marks and are most likely to stay attached for the 24 hour transfer period. Anybody know when ticks hatch? I'm guessing Spring, but ???

Either way...gack. yeah. gack.

Have to agree with everyone,the ticks have been terrible this year. DO NOT use any of the DEET sprays for ticks. It absolutely doesn't work they crawl acrossed it and its deadly to fish etc.. Your right on with this stuff. Just spray garments,let dry, and no odor. Last for weeks. http://www.sawyer.com/tech-bugs1.html

I speak first hand .....(Gator can back me on this) I live in Perinton and have a MAJOR issue with them. Brown ticks are easy to see. They have black/brown on them but, deer ticks are about the size of a sharpened pencil tip, there tiny. All of my animals bring them in on a regular basis and have sent 25+ to Cornell thru my vet..... none have come back with a positive Lyme.  That being said my neighbor was treated for Lyme after almost a year of suffering from the flu problems. 

My best suggestion would be treat your clothes with "Sawyer Repellant" yes it Permithrine based and once sprayed, odor free.... and after leaving the woods check your self over thoroughly, I found 1 on my leg TONIGHT little bastard had started to embed.

It's funny how you can't walk in the woods anywhere to the East of Mendon without picking up a few ticks, but just a couple miles to the West in Rush I almost never see them, and I've never had an encounter West of the Genesee River. 

I have pulled 2 out of me and have had a good half dozen more crawling on me after I de-clothe. Down where I hunt (southern NY/northern PA) they are really bad this year.  I have also pulled 3 out of my dog and they have only been in our yard.

My father's property in Wayne county has no ticks. I have never had one on me or the deer I shoot.

Edited by Chas0218

7 dust, No smell to it, Ticks hate it, Every person I've spoke with in my area has had them too. Frost or cold doesn't kill them, They go dormant. 

So when it's cold the ticks don't die? I thought the same the first frost or cold snap they croaked, so what your saying they are kind of like a bee, they just go into a hibernation type thing. If it gives a warm spell, like it does in the deer season, do they become active again? Good grief Charlie Brown I thought the little blood sucking bastards died. So how long does one live?

Not sure how long they live, yeah they unthaw and come back to life, Had two on my pant legs yesterday, Carry a smoke lighter on me to kill em, Hold the flame on it till you hear a snap! Now they're dead. I went and bought a bottle of that permethrin spray,hope it kills them like they say.

My son had a dog tick (big brown one) on his wrist while he slept. I removed it successfully however still took him to the dr. She said they (her practice) don't test for lyme disease on either the tick or the patient. Our area is low compared to VA (highest) and with the cost of testing it is pointless. It normally takes 2-3 weeks for the symptoms of lyme disease and if the symptoms show they treat the patient as if the do have it with a nearly 100% cure rate. There are strains of ticks in VA that are becoming drug resistant towards amoxicillian due to over prescrided. There is only one other alternative drug however it permantly turnns your teeth yellow. After 2 days of amoxicillin he is back to normal.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've got three friends that got Lyme disease from ticks, It doesn't entirely leave your system, They all have some sort of effects that comes back once in awhile, Maybe today could be 2 years from now but they still have effects from Lyme. Two of them almost died from it.

Both my parents have had it and they live just up the road.  I've been tested twice.  It's gotten bad around here, every day we take two or ten off our cat.  Doesn't stop in the winter, just a few less.  If it's really cold he may not have any but if it's 30 or above it seems they're active.  Sometimes we find them crawling on the couch after he's been sitting there.  Didn't have to worry about it when we were kids, last 10 years it's just gotten worse and worse.  Nasty things.  Not as bad as in the south though, I have a buddy in Kentucky with 2 dogs and he has to sweep the floor after they've been outside.  Lots more diseases down there too.

I think if I were out in the woods I'd be wearing some "heavy duty" (canvas like Carhartts) for pants and sealing off the bottoms at the boots and then rubbing on a light coat of kerosene on the boots and low part of the pants (e.g. up to the knees) and let dry before putting on. I'm pretty sure like most parasites like fleas and lice they would be repelled by it and as long as there isn't skin contact with it it should be safer than some of the pesticides or insecticides. (I wouldn't be smoking near it before drying though...but then again I don't smoke anyway :) Have to stay downwind though.

Edited by Sk8man

Both my parents have had it and they live just up the road.  I've been tested twice.  It's gotten bad around here, every day we take two or ten off our cat.  Doesn't stop in the winter, just a few less.  If it's really cold he may not have any but if it's 30 or above it seems they're active.  Sometimes we find them crawling on the couch after he's been sitting there.  Didn't have to worry about it when we were kids, last 10 years it's just gotten worse and worse.  Nasty things.  Not as bad as in the south though, I have a buddy in Kentucky with 2 dogs and he has to sweep the floor after they've been outside.  Lots more diseases down there too.

The thing too know is that felines are NOT able to contract Lyme Disease... that being said when the ticks leave the cats YOUR next.

There are very isolated infestations and I happen to live in one. For the good of all my fellow LOU clan after this weekend and the warm-up I'll take some detailed photo's so there's NO excuses for not knowing what they look like.

sawyers is a decent product from what I have heard. We have been living with a tick problem in pa for years.

I buy happy jack kennel dip II in concentrate and make my own solution, far cheaper and better coverage. I also mix up a spray bottle to just hit every day clothes and to spray the dog and her vest before we head out. it does kill them in short order.

A high school buddy and I went small game hunting a few hours one day last week while we were in Pa. he doesn't treat his clothes. he was COVERED with ticks! when I say covered I am talking he had over 50 ticks on his brush pants and jacket! I took a tick off his jacket put it on my vest and it did not make it more than an inch and it fell off dead. I took Ziva's hunting vest off her and there were a half dozen dead ticks on her hair, in the 3 weeks I was there I picked one tick off Ziva on the inside of her ear, mom and dad take ticks off their dogs daily.