600 and 700 copper setup what reels to buy?

I have an American-made Penn 345GTi loaded with 600' for sale in the classifieds. It's a spare unit I've had, used only a handful of times in the 2 years I've had it.

Sent from my Verizon HTC Thunderbolt using the Lake Ontario United mobile app

How much backing are you comfortable with? The Solterra would be my minimum, I have both the Solterra and a 9/0 Senator... The guys refer to the Senator rod as "the dredge".

The senator can be loaded up to reach really deep waters, but keep in mind you don't have a levelwind so it can be very tedious to reel in 700'+ of copper and a rampaging king. The reel is very heavy, and when a fish hits on it, usually nobody wants anything to do with it. Personally, I love the setup, especially the clicker which brings back memories of Quint when he hooks the shark in Jaws with his Senator!

How much backing are you comfortable with? The Solterra would be my minimum, I have both the Solterra and a 9/0 Senator... The guys refer to the Senator rod as "the dredge".

The senator can be loaded up to reach really deep waters, but keep in mind you don't have a levelwind so it can be very tedious to reel in 700'+ of copper and a rampaging king. The reel is very heavy, and when a fish hits on it, usually nobody wants anything to do with it. Personally, I love the setup, especially the clicker which brings back memories of Quint when he hooks the shark in Jaws with his Senator!

I should also add that I'm 6'3" and 245 lb, and I find the Senator rig challenging. That setup really requires a shoulder harness if your stature is average to slight.