Replacing boat window plastic - suggestions?

vetting

So looking to replace the flexible window plastic on my Cobia 265FC over the winter.  I have a normal bimini top with zippers and then snaps along the front and side windshield.  My plastic is pretty old which makes it hard to see through and some of the snaps are torn.  I know the best option would be to take it in and get the actual shop to do it, but from what I hear doesnt that cost around 2K?  I know its not ideal, but can I just buy the material myself, remove the old zippers from my old plastic and take it somewhere to get sown up just like the old one?  If anyone has any experience with replacing theirs, please let me know what route you went and cost.

post-151912-0-91234900-1383932293_thumb.jpg

I have the same problem, with my windows, and #2grand is out of the question right now. There is a guy that lives by me that makes the tarps and tops, he sewed all the seems on my bimini top and aft but I asked him to make new windows and he told me, I'll sew the seams but I don't do the windows anymore, because the plastic is to expensive, he has to buy it buy the roll, and something about the plastic is oil based and new regulations and so on, so he used my windows and zippers and new snaps, made the window with the new cloth surroundings, they work and fit like a glove but they are foggy like. Its only a triangle piece that I mainly only use when it's windy and cold, like spring brown fishing. It does hinder your sight off to the sides I noticed, so I take a good look out the back before turning!! can't rely on the passengers they are all bull$hiting and just say no or I didn't see anything, at least my crew :whew:

First of all I'd get a bunch of quotes from canvas guys pricing-wise. There are however huge differences in the quality of the plastic in terms of "aging" characteristics (mainly UV effects),durability and thickness etc. so it might pay to really ask questions along those lines too.  I had a dodger made for the front of my previous boat by John Mann of Sodus Bay Canvas and it lasted 22 years and was still on the boat when I sold it and was just starting to "yellow in" so the good stuff can last too.

Edited by Sk8man

2k seems high to me compared to the canvas work I had done this year, I would check around.

I 2nd John Mann if you can get the boat to Sodus, I am very happy with the work he did for me and John is a great guy to work with.

John Mann: 315-871-6400

Maybe a good idea for me, would be to shop around up by you guys, down here everyone that does this kind of work considers it a luxury Item rather than a necessity. More competition might be a factor also, I guess I'll look around up by the lake in the spring. I put that John's # in my favorites, I'll give him a call in the spring when we bring the boat up. Thanks for the heads up on the quality thing Les, didn't even give that a thought.   PS. I forgot to mention that the guy that sewed my seems up is going into retirement and that's why he doesn't want to do the windows.   

i had one of my side curtains replaced on mw 22 ft walkaround this summer at life time docks and canvas repairs in sandy pond.he told me there are 3 quality grades to choose from,the cheapest he dont even use cause its junk,the highest quality is very expensive,so i went with the mid-grade,cost me 180 bucks,which i thought was a good price,as this is a good size piece of plastic.thier number is 315-387-5481,also another quality guy is geordie magee in brewerton,little expensive,but quality work,315-676-7679.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with john mann. I believe he did the drop curtains on mine well over 20 years ago and still holding up very well (marks and glaze spots due to normal wear).

The trick I use whwn storing during the winter is hang them over pvc and out of freezing temps to prevent cracks in plastic.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 months later...

I think I would contact John Mann at Sodus Bay Canvas and ask him if there is any chance of you sending your old canvas and plastic to him to do it that way or to have a new one using that as a pattern and if so give him the dimensions and maybe the pic for a quote. I know the preferred way is to actually fit it to the boat but he might  consider it. He is a very honest guy and reasonable. All canvas work on boats is usually more expensive than you think no matter how you slice it.