King Salmon Trolling, commercial fishing

motocross

Cool! Interestingly they use all SINGLE stainess siwash salmon hooks on all their stuff (even J-plugs (which I changed over to from trebles more than 30 years ago) more proof that they hold better and are easier to take fish off if these dudes are using them. It looked like they were using leaders from their flashers at about 3-4 ft to the lures and I think the case for hand lining in kings can be made too :) Thanks for sharing.

True. Because of the amount of tackle they use they try to get by with the minimum that actually works at the least complicated and most cost effective methods....we might have something to take away from this :)

Stainless = due to high resilience to corrosion in saltwater. I think a lot of folks take for granted how easy we have it on Lake O.... No need to re-tie and replace everything that touched the water at the end of the day.

Ah.......didn't look like that operation was "least complicated" lol. 

:)  I agree but you know that used to be said about the Seth Green rigs we used to run too when people unfamiliar with them would see them inaction (especially back in the old days when you could run 15 leaders per rod and would have 4 rods out with jugs) along with other stuff like boards or outriggers :lol:  That young guy had his system down pretty good though...

fingerlakes rig fishin- I'm dumb enough to try it, just happen to have a couple of Penn 6\0s not doing anything!!

I use the "finger lake rig" during the spring and have caught kings. Once landed a double with 17 & 19 lb kings. They don't like the weight so there is no brag screaming however its a big tug of war and the run side to side. If you don't know how to handle them on the rig they will tangle every line you have out..

I Don't run the rig in summer months because of currents and higher trollin f speeds. A lot of line out and it almost always will get tangled with dipsies, or copper/lead lines.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

And nearly every lure and flasher was silver or some other basic color. No Pattern overload like we recreational guys try to navigate

I would imagine that unlike the Lake O fish that have probably seen every possible color combination of lures and attractors those chinooks may have never seen any lure before given the great expanses of the water they inhabit. Great video and Dire Straits was a good choice for the music :):yes:

Edited by Sk8man

• 3 weeks later...

I would imagine they are trolled for such a long distance that they don't have much fight left in them when they pull them to the boat

Yeah, kind of like when you finally figure out that you have been pulling a brown or a laker off the downrigger that has not fired, for over an hour!! :rofl:  :rofl: !!LOL

Edited by John Kelley

• 2 weeks later...