Fishing on other area lakes

This past year  on many occassions it was awful difficult to get out on Lake ontario to fish due to the high winds and waves

im wondering about how the fishing and waves and wind might be on other lakes like Cayuga,Owasco, and such that have similiar fish as lake Ontario.Possible boat lauch sites on these lakes too.Planning already for next season.All replies are deeply appreciated.

The fingerlakes are a good choice when the Big lake is to rough.  The fact that they run north and south make it easier to get out when the north west wind kicks up.  They are narrow enough so if its to  rough on one side go accross the lake to the other.  The fish are smaller , but willing and hit the same stuff.    Cayuga and Seneca are good choices.   As are the smaller lakes.

Edited by Big Dave

I have a summer place near Cayuga and used to fish it exclusively...Because of Lamprey and zebra mussel, I've changed and trailer to either Owasco or Ontario. Owasco is VERY clean and there is a chance of landing a nice Rainbow, however, they are few and far between since the introduction of Walleye..Seems that Walleye's favorite food is baby Rainbows.  Wind isn't a big problem on Cayuga  unless it's blowing hard straight out of the north or south. I'll admit Ontario had some bad days with wind last summer.. We were blown off twice and both times the waves were 6-8 feet. But when we did fish.. it was fantastic.

We run over to Owasco or Oneida when the big lake gets blowing. Owasco is similar fishing to ontario, it has browns, bows, lakers, and some really nice walleyes. Oneida you have to change your approach a little as its not a deep lake, we either troll them off the boards, or if its early enough(may/june) cast sonars over strucutre and pound the dinner plate walleyes

I mainly fish Seneca and that was awesome last year many options for launches to fish different winds also I fish Cayuga owasco keuka canadaigua I fish a 18' sport craft and although I don't claim to be completely sane and I will fish some real winds I was not blown off a lake all year and the few trips I did make to Ontario lucky all were pleasant but one day with 5footers owasco is nice Cayuga is a joke now with the lamprays fish run small in my opinion when compared to other finger lakes, keuka has insane numbers but so many fish that the bigger ones are very hard to get!! My choice is Seneca it is also the closest for me to fish

Hey Keep'n it real. Any advice for a newbie that doesn't want to put the boat away, and is learning how to fish up here? I live in Canandaigua, but I'm just learning how to run downriggers and set the rods up. I grew up fishing the Chesapeake Bay, and have been kind of just making mistake after mistake trying to figure this fishery out.

zimm this time of year drive to watkins glen and launch out of clute.  set up right out of the shoot and troll the south end.  typically the warm water attacts good numbers.  DW super slims work or the FLT spoons last year i did real well in the top 50 feet of water off boards and riggers I usually run sliders as well and had more than one single pole doubles.  lot of LLs in the 18-20 inch class but they should be a year bigger now plus there is a good chance at a rainbow.  I here there are lots of browns to but i never got into any.  If you want you can drag a dipsey or run deep and catch some lakers as well.  I will be out in am ut with the wind down i may try to fish out of the genny in lake O or out of naples on canandaguia just because i wanna try a new lake but seneca has been good to me the last 12 months or so but it took a couple years for me to learn to catch anything consistenly there though i have limited fishing time. this site helped a ton

Seneca can be tough at times typically that's not the case this time of year fishing can be very very good the south end is definitely consistent fishing and the brown fishing was phenomenal last winter hoping for it again this winter and lakers can just about be caught as one pleases.. Finger lakes tackle spoons worked for me as well and then flasher fly combos are usually good it can be tough getting lures past the dinks in the top 20ft but fish through them and you should be rewarded I'm in the woods tomorrow but will be on the lake Sunday I will make sure to put a post up with how it goes!!

Joe