Bow Mount Trolling Motor

Big Water

I'm going to install a bow mount trolling motor on my 18.5' Lowe Boat with the sole purpose of using it while fishing the Niagara.  I might also use it on other rare occasions, but not likely.  My question is: How much thrust do I need for this application?  I'm trying to keep the motor the smallest, most cost effective while still performing adequately.  A 12v system would be preffered.  I would assume this depends on what part of the river I'm in, so I don't see ever going much beyond the power plants.  Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Doug

Thanks everyone.  It seems like 24v high thrust is the only way to go for the Niagara.  With that established, can you recommend any particular Brand/Model.  I don't need bells and whistles, just a reliable, adequately powered unit.  I see the Minn Kota are much more expensive than the MotorGuide.  Is there a substantial advantage to Minn Kota, or are you paying for the name?

I personally prefer the Minn Kota's I've had one on every boat and they perform very well. I also think their technology makes the battery last longer.

I currently have a Powerdrive V2 55lb thrust on my 18ft Starweld. I added the IPilot autopilot feature, I wouldn't be without the IPilot now, allows me to control the motor anywhere on the boat and hold a course either by compass or gps as well as store tracks for reuse.

I also have a Terrova 55lbs with the IPilot as well on my 17ft bass tracker.

Both are great motors.

Best of luck with what ever you choose!

I personally prefer the Minn Kota's I've had one on every boat and they perform very well. I also think their technology makes the battery last longer.

I currently have a Powerdrive V2 55lb thrust on my 18ft Starweld. I added the IPilot autopilot feature, I wouldn't be without the IPilot now, allows me to control the motor anywhere on the boat and hold a course either by compass or gps as well as store tracks for reuse.

I also have a Terrova 55lbs with the IPilot as well on my 17ft bass tracker.

Both are great motors.

Best of luck with what ever you choose!

My buddy has the I pilot on his boat greastest thing since sliced bread!  Works great when perch fishing don't have to keep pulling up the anchor to find fish, just hit the button & move.

Get the 24V Minnkota Terrova 80lb with ipilot. Probably the most useful upgrade and best decision I've made on my boat. This unit also manages battery life much more efficiently. They're spendy but you won't regret it.