glad our 60 lb dogs dont do the damage of these 35 lbrs

ray koziatek

They don't ,at our camp in bliss we have already shot 3 chasing adult whitetails over the years and have found a number of fawns ripped apart in the late spring.and for the last 7 years we here them almost every night howling ,chasing,and killing.last year while turkey hunting a big 65lb coyote came trotting right at me with fangs glissenting to my hen calls,and luckily I dropped him at 10 yards before he could pounce.i would say our turkey and deer(especially the poults and fawns) population are cut 20 to 30 percent by these predators some years.

Pretty sad ,,In a spot ive hunted 40 yrs in the fall it was nu-thing to see 50 to 70 turkeys in the picked crop fields nearby..this year with over 20 trips there..............0 yup 0 turkeys,,0 grouse,and 1 10th the deer....and i are a pretty good hunter,,but it is nice to listen to the coyotes,talk every morning and night ..would love to see more pressure on the yotes but all the woods give them lots or roaming room...Even if the Dec. ok'd a shoot on sight to hunters seems like it would have to help..but some tree huger might feel sad..

To give you an idea of what you are up against trying to thin the coyote population....we hunt coyotes with dogs primarily, shoot everyone we see during deer season, trap them, and call them. Our group of houndsman in tioga county has accounted for 500 dead yotes at a minimum in the last 4 years, and we have no trouble finding coyotes. My best season i personally shot 14. They are nearly impossible to thin. The land my family owns is part of a chunk that we killed 28 in 1 year. BTW that area is low on game. Need to end the season on them...the spring/summer is the easiest time to target them.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Somehow they adapt. When ya kill more they have larger litters to fill the population back. Don't know if that's true but heard it someplace from someone. Seems hard to believe that they could be that knowledgeable in their numbers to make an adjustment in a biological function of the numbers of pups in a litter..is it true?

Somehow they adapt. When ya kill more they have larger litters to fill the population back. Don't know if that's true but heard it someplace from someone. Seems hard to believe that they could be that knowledgeable in their numbers to make an adjustment in a biological function of the numbers of pups in a litter..is it true?

Its all about food availability. The same thing goes with deer. If there’s a lot of food, there will be more Does born to make more deer. Less food equals less does more bucks.

During the winter, when there's less food and after the bucks have shed their horns, a mother deer will chase bucks and young bucks (especially from another family) away from a food source, so that their young doe can eat and survive.

I see it all the time during the winter months

There was a study on western coyotes i read about that suggested that stresses on coyote populations produced larger litters where there was ample food. A rancher hired predator hunters to wipe them out as they went after his lambs. The next year the problem was worse. The study was started on that ranch and the solution was to only kill problem coyotes. Basically pressure the coyotes into hunting elsewhere. That obviously wont work if you are trying to improve things on a statewide level, and how do you pressure coyotes off your land without spooking the deer...the lambs and sheep were fenced. The state will have to do something soon as the population of yotes continues to grow into suburban and urban areas where they really thrive and you cant hunt them legally. I shot my first one in 92 and we had a hard time finding a coyote to chase. We drove 3 hours to lowville to hunt them. Now we can kill as many as 6 in a day anywhere in the southern tier. I saw the biggest one ive seen in years yesterday but only had a bow, and it was like he knew it!

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

An appropriately named town. I went there 3 years ago to pickup some 2x4 lights for my garage. You’re up on a mountain looking down at a village as you're driving to it. I said to my wife, no wonder they named it Lowville.

lowville

Lets have NY jump on board with this one. I have shot 3 already this year.  In the past we could sit on stand for days and never see or hear any now we have them all over. We are seeing more during daylight hours than ever before too.