Neighbors dogs are running deer

Patriot

Some of you sound ridiculous. Insinuating that someone doesn't love or care for their pet because they allow it to run off leash? I encounter many people who love their dogs as I do and we allow them to run off leash. If dogs are not supposed to be on someone's property that's one thing and that needs to be conveyed to the owner of the dogs and given a chance to remedy the situation. Scum bag status to anyone who shoots someone's pet unless in self defense.

Some of you sound ridiculous. Insinuating that someone doesn't love or care for their pet because they allow it to run off leash? I encounter many people who love their dogs as I do and we allow them to run off leash. If dogs are not supposed to be on someone's property that's one thing and that needs to be conveyed to the owner of the dogs and given a chance to remedy the situation. Scum bag status to anyone who shoots someone's pet unless in self defense.

Amen brother!! I didn't want to even get involved with this conversation, due to the fact that a city bastard shot 2 of my prize beagles, that were not running deer. Due to that situation I no longer have gun dogs, just a beagle as a pet. OZZY who gets loose every once in a while, we bought the Electric Fence system for him and every now and then he get through the fence usually due to low batteries, If someone were to shoot him it would devastate my 2 daughters and if I found out who did it, the old saying goes an EYE for an EYE. Just to hear all you folks that would shoot an animal with a collar on just because it was in the woods while you were hunting and most of you were hunting on someone else's property, "It would be great if you shot the land owners dog" absolutely sickens me to the point I don't want to be associated with such Ignorant people. I own 25 acres, which I lease to a Christmas tree farmer, and on MY land is where my dogs were shot

I watched 5 dogs chase a 4 point to exhaustion and then trap the deer and ripped his genitals off. The deer got away just to be trapped in the middle of a stream. I drove the dogs off with rocks . I had called the CO, and he showed up and told me these dogs had killed three deer he knew of. This was in a town park! The Owners were warned.the pack came by chasing a doe and he

shot 2. These " pets" away from there family were vicious killers.

I have 17 acers (does it matter no) and I could care less if the dogs are on my property, have at it dogs! People ride quads through my property. Do I care? NO.

But when dogs start running down deer & other wildlife, that's where something needs to be done. Of course I'm not going to shoot the dogs.

Edited by Patriot

But you have no problem with torturing and killing a fish that was just looking for something to eat!

I think the difference here is my dogs were killed on my land not chasing deer, your stories are about wild dogs chasing deer down and killing them. What does NY state law say about such a situation?  

Dogs dont need to be on a leash if they are hunting....period. Dogs cant read posted signs....period. Its illegal to shoot a dog running deer if you arent a CO...period. This is not a complex issue....call a CO and your dog control officer...period.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Dogs dont need to be on a leash if they are hunting....period. Dogs cant read posted signs....period. Its illegal to shoot a dog running deer if you arent a CO...period. This is not a complex issue....call a CO and your dog control officer...period.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Justin, I just didn't know if  the woods police had the authority to shoot pets or not?

Usually the Dog Control Officer is attached to the Humane Society nearby and they can and will investigate most matters involving domestic animals and they can issue citations as well.

Dogs on my property is NOT the issue here.

Issue is any dog that runs deer. That's what I have an issue with.

Those dogs have been roaming my property for a couple of years and I even called them over to give them my dog's treats.

But this year they started running deer and other wild animals.

Of course I'm not going to shoot the dogs.  

But if I catch them running deer again, I will call the dog warden.

However, I'd be very surprised if they survive the season which starts this Saturday. Hunters around here just don't tolerate dogs or Coyotes running deer.

Oh by the way, don't feed your dog raw deer meat.

You can take the dog out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the dog

Would you guys consider a dog barking at you and snarling when in the tree stand enough to shoot it?  I have had this happen on more than one occasion and did not know what to do.  Dog wardens are useless along with DEC they all have better things to do than report to dog chasing deer problems.

I have also had a neighbors dog find my deer just minutes from me and it already tried to start tearing apart the rear hind quarters. The dog would snarl and get mean.  I tried to catch it but didn't want to get tangled up with it.  I talked to the owner on several occasions. That same owner called the police on me after his dog didn't show up for several days stating I shot it and I threatened to, which I did not do either of the 2 accusations. I wasn't even in town that weekend and had receipts to prove it.  

I didn't have to do anything to the dog as someone else on a neighboring property probably took care of the problem. 

I get where you guys are coming from and I have returned several dogs to owners.  I own 2 dogs that love the outdoors but are trained to stay in my yard and I do not allow them to wander as I am a pet owner and (the owner) AM RESPONSIBLE for my animals.

what dogs?????

The big issues is any dog running deer whether it's your family pet with a collar on or a wild dog, coyote, but there are saying shoot them all and let god sort'em out. I had 2 prize beagles get loose and a man shot my dogs on my property and some say he should of been on a leash, so it sucks to  be me.My dog my property so I already know I don't own the land or I shouldn't have to shell $8,000.00 a year in taxes, no I cant let my animals free range my own property during the deer season, so I guess those 2 week I have to put my animal in the house? and let every Tom, Dick and Harry run around on the 25 acres I own, unless I post it. Then I'll get "Well he posts his land and runs all over everyone else's property!!! NO one lost on shooting my dog but ME!! and my DOG which never ran a deer, ever!!  The city bastard that he was said they were chasing "his" deer? I said to him I've been hunting for 35 years and I never saw a deer run past me with your name one it, never!!

Edited by pap

Here is a section of conservation law from ny. It basically reads that anyone 21 and over can kill cats pursuing game but only police can kill dogsattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1384786111.658882.jpg

It also adds on State land only nothing to do with private property, and the cat has to be pursuing/killing a protected bird.

Pap,

Our family has lost several beagles.  It is hard for sure.

Those of you that let your dog run free, you have already substantially increased the odds that something bad will happen.  Whether you like it or not, feel it is just or not, free ranging your pets is risky.

Those of you considering killing a pet, I suggest you reconsider your alternatives.

Had my hunt ruined this evening by two golden retrievers running deer.  Both had collars and one even had a shock collar on.  They were smiling from ear to ear having a grand old time.  Deer running everywhere.  The fine will be $1700 for both dogs.

Interesting local DEC did not know the current law as it is written regarding dogs chasing wildlife.  Initially, we were told we could shoot the dogs (didn't want to), but latter the DEC contacted us and stated under no circumstances can dogs be shot unless protecting livestock.  The DEC is now changing there own policy due to lawsuits, that they also are no longer shooting dogs.  Considering pellet gun to arse if they come back.

Had my hunt ruined this evening by two golden retrievers running deer.  Both had collars and one even had a shock collar on.  They were smiling from ear to ear having a grand old time.  Deer running everywhere.  The fine will be $1700 for both dogs.

Did the game com. issue a summons to the dog owner, That should straiten the problem out ($1800.00 ouch!!)