Swamp Dog

fish-on

They chase deer right thru my yard all the time, I hear them howl every day, There's 4 different packs of them. So I guess there's a few of them, Don't see the deer like we used to. Dec's way of controlling the deer population, To many car deer hit's, Now we're see Bobcats also, I wonder why they're coming back? Anybody got any idea's. This is in Tompkins County, Have you guys been seeing these in other Counties of New York, I know Tioga has them too.

Yea, I can't believe that they have a season on the yotes up there, down here in PA. you can hunt them 24/7 and we put a hurtin on them, there still to many, but we can always hunt them at night if there is a problem. 

They chase deer right thru my yard all the time, I hear them howl every day, There's 4 different packs of them. So I guess there's a few of them, Don't see the deer like we used to. Dec's way of controlling the deer population, To many car deer hit's, Now we're see Bobcats also, I wonder why they're coming back? Anybody got any idea's. This is in Tompkins County, Have you guys been seeing these in other Counties of New York, I know Tioga has them too.

Cats are prevalent Southern tier too.  People are asking me where the rabbits are and I tell them.  The only good places are near dwellings.  It is hard to find them away from them because they are getting hammered by birds of prey all the way down to yotes and bobcats.  They conducted studies and found that black bears acount for most of the fawns mortality.  Personally, I liked it better when humans were the major predator.  If you have posted land, encourage people to come in after muzzle loading to varmint hunt. 

Where i live in Oswego county there are lots of them. Any advice on the best way to hunt them ? I purchased an electronic caller last year but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Get some free kittens Put them in a spot where they Meewww a lot and wait.  Those dogs love P--  Kitty.  I noticed as the coyote population went up that the ferral cat population went down.

We do not hesitate to kill those either.

When the fire whistle blows down in the valley in the evening, you can hear them light right up at lot of times.

Many more of those around than most people think.

• 2 weeks later...

Running them with dogs is effective or trapping. Calling will get a few too...just need more guys targetting them from the end of deer season till end of yote season. If anyone wants to see some video of the dogs on em i can pm a few videos. Not the kind of footage to open post.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Running them with dogs is effective or trapping. Calling will get a few too...just need more guys targetting them from the end of deer season till end of yote season. If anyone wants to see some video of the dogs on em i can pm a few videos. Not the kind of footage to open post.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My buddy runs them with dogs, he says it is a real adrenaline rush to hear the dogs get on the yotes.  From what he tells me I know what you mean.

Edited by Chas0218

I have only ever shot one coyote and that was on my property 2 seasons ago. I was still hunting in a hemlock patch that was undulating terrain. Was pretty quiet walking. I was looking for bedded deer. Suddenly, walking along, I noticed something curled up at the base of a big hemlock tree. And whe nI say I noticed, it scared the **** out of me cause I was less than 20' from it. the damn dog was sound asleep. I thought it was dead till I noticed that its chest was moving. I literally three a few sticks near it and it never moved. Its ears didnt even raise. Then I leaned against a tree, cocked my Marlin .35 back and let out a whistle. nothing. then a louder whistle..head comes up, bang...shot him right behind the ear at 20 feet...

Edited by Adk1

Hey Guys, I frequently hunt these critters on a regular basis. I have been for 3 years now. I use an electronic call as well as mouth calls and hunt them at night. I have all the equipment to get it done. I am always looking for spots to hunt them. I would love to come out and hunt them on your property if you would have it.  Send me a PM and we can exchange numbers and talk.   Thanks.