New regulations on type of hooks?

Misty IV

A co-worker who has only fished rivers and streams here in PA came up to me today and asked me about fishing on the lake. He and a few buddies are planning their first ever trip up to Lake O this summer and asked me about hooks. He says he was told that you're only allowed to use a single hooks now. I told him that can't be true because all the common lures we troll with (MI Stingers, NK's) have treble hooks. Has anyone heard about this or do you think my co-worker was given some very false information? I'm taking one of my 3 tackle boxes in tomorrow to show him what I run.

I figured the regs between the lake and tributaries may be a little different. I'm guessing that is what my co-worker heard. I'll check with him later today when I see him and ask him where he was planning on fishing that he heard about the single hooks. He's only done stream fishing his whole life, so perhaps that is the regs he thought applied. I'll get back to you once I talk with him. Thanks to all for your replies so far. I figured there had to be some confusion with the information on his end. Otherwise, we'd ALL be running around starting a new collection of lures before the season starts.

NY only has a few places where trebles aren't allowed. Some of these are only seasonal such as the Genesse river, south of Driving Park Bridge, during the salmon run.

BTW - NYS does NOT limit the number of rods or "poles" that you can use.

Other states do limit the number of rods per person. What NYS says is that you ARE limited to two lines per person. They may, but don't have to, be attached to fishing "poles." Examples where this reg also apply include trottlines and seth greens. (if you attacher a flasher/fly to the cannonball of your downrigger...surprise...it counts as a line.)

Some NY guys love "cheaters" but you have to be careful not to exceed the "15 point per line" rule. i.e. you can't run two plugs each with 3 trebles on them. (I don't really know anyone who has ever done that)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I talked with my co-worker and he was, in fact, referring to stream fishing, not out on the lake itself. He said he's heard about the great fishing opportunities in the streams and rivers...that's what he wants to try. I think I talked him into trying the lake out at some point, too. He's going to look into chartering a boat, if they go that route, as well.

Thanks to all for your replies and input.

...but wouldn't it be nice to be able to run 3 rods/lines per person like Michigan?

Not really, I'm a big believer in the "less is more" philosophy. I wonder how much of those guys over there catching so many small fish is because they have so much crap in the water, the bigger kings avoid all the noise.

I know that when my father (who's from Marinette Wisconsin originally) and my uncle/cousin who live in cleveland go back to Wis to visit family, and they fish Green Bay out of Marinette or go over to Kewanee, they run a more typical LO spread of 4-6 rods and they catch weighed 20+ lb kings every year. You look at most of the guys on the GLA website and they talk about big fish all time on their boat is 17 or 18 lbs. I believe it is because they all look like porcupines out there on the water. They seem to see it as a test of manhood or badge of honor to get as many lines in the water as possible. You can't tell em any different.

Another example is team Royal Flush went and fished a Michigan tourny a couple years ago and won it using a LO spread.

I really believe there is a correllation between number of rods in the water and the way the big fish react to the noise created. 5 man crew over there is 15 rods in the water. With a clear as the lake are, I think that HAS to chase the bigger kings away to some extent.

As it is now, my typical spread is 6 rods, even with 4 in the boat. I can certainly run 8 comfortably out of my 24' Thompson, but why deal with the added hassle and probably negatively impact the size of the fish I catch.

Think about back when the cut bait first hit LO and we all were running 2-4 rods total (2 riggers and maybe a couple divers) and all the large numbers of really big fish that were caught. Something to think about anyways.

Just my thoughts on it. your mileage may vary :)

Tim

Just meant a less intrusive 2 rods per person spread instead of the 3 per that they run on Lake Michigan. Like I said, over there it seems like they consider it something of a test of manhood to get absolutely as many lines in the water as they possibly can.

Even on a bigger boat with a 6 man crew, in my wildest dreams I couldn't imagine trying to get 18 lines in the water. That may be a numbers type of program, but I don't think it is a big fish program.

Tim

Ok thanks ... i thought it might mean a type of spread that was for unique for LO -- # of poles in the water is not even somthing to worry about for me --- at the moment .. 4 rods in the water for me will be exciting :shock: -- 6 would have me on the edge of my seat :roll: --- I can see the tangled mess now :x !!

Thx - Mark

IMG_0476-1.jpg