autopilot

fisherman 57

Need to get one for weight of your boat along with the type of steering your boat has manual or hydraulic. They will talk with your fish finder if its connected to it.

There are some other threads here regarding this. Bought mine from Hodges Marine. Best prices I found and fast shipping.

Autopilots are a tremendous tool. Fitted with your boat size and mated with your motor, they become exactly what the name says. You can find many manufacturers (mine is a Garmin) with quality products. Just make your settings and let it steer while you set rods or fight fish. Mine is tied with the GPS and maintains course and speed very well. I fish using my 9.9 kicker (a different model would work with the 135 main motor), and the AP does what I want it to. AP can be used on the main motor and keep a course for you to get from A to B on plane or it can slowly troll for you (if your main goes slow enough) if that is your desire. 

My TR1 Gold is on an 18' Lund. I fish alone or with one other. Linked to the GPS it will do many functions: straight course, zig-zags, steps, circles, clover leafs, MOB r+l. Throttle control is part of it and allows me to maintain my pattern according to the conditions of the time. The AP will make the boat go to where you direct it to go as long as there is enough motor thrust to combat the wind and/or waves. However, lure speed is impacted if you need to ramp it up to maintain control in really bad conditions (time for me to head in if I am forced to make the lures move too fast). The down side to AP is the cash outlay. They are not cheap!

*Is there a local guy who is real good at troubleshooting and fixing Auto pilots? My King 2000 keeps blowing a 6amp fuse. It came with the boat not working and I have no clue regarding these . I live in Hilton, NY

King went out of business over 10 years ago. There was a guy in Florida that bought all of their inventory(parts). Just do an internet search. I would think about upgrading to a newer unit. I had a King ap2000 and upgraded to a Garmin. The Garmin is light years ahead of the king

Al

Thanks

Al

HOOKNUP 2

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app