Is mase or pepper spray legal to carry in New York?

fishless

It is illegal to carry. However, upstate many people do carry it and usually the worst that happens is they take it away. As for in NYC, I can't be sure because they do so many things differently down there. Best advice: don't bring it if she doesnt want to have to replace it.  

she's not going to some war zone... she doesnt need pepper spray to visit NYC

Cow tipping down here in the sticks is one thing but this wonderful knockout game that your wonderful city has is a complete other.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Im not from NYC but have spent plenty of time there in my life

1. people have been getting sucker punched for hundreds of years. Now we just have cameras everywhere to document it and 24 hour news stations with nothing better to do to cover it

2. If that is really the reason you are worried what good would pepper spray do?

your wife will be fine

In general NYC is probably safer than most cities in that there is a very heightened police presence, video monitoring, and heightened sense of awareness these days. They are very strict about weapons violations including mace or pepper spray. As in any unfamiliar environment (out of your usual element) it pays to be cautious and aware of your surroundings at all times but I'd let it go at that.

In general NYC is probably safer than most cities in that there is a very heightened police presence, video monitoring, and heightened sense of awareness these days. They are very strict about weapons violations including mace or pepper spray. As in any unfamiliar environment (out of your usual element) it pays to be cautious and aware of your surroundings at all times but I'd let it go at that.

This is a perfect explanation..... I also live in the country and have never locked my doors but I am in NYC often and I feel just as comfortable there as I do walking in a wal mart parking lot out with the woodchucks.

This summer I spent a weekend in New York and I was very worried and wary. That worry turned out to be needless. We were walking around the city at 10.30 in the evening and everybody was out in the streets socializing and being friendly. At first I was afraid to ask for directions,that too was needless. People were helpful, chatting with cops and having a good time in general.

I felt safe in down town New York unlike down town Rochester which is still a shooting gallery after dark.

I think it's natural for someone from the country to fear the bad things that happen in the city. My wife and I go to Chicago every other year and take the el train all over and walk around at night. We were timid at first but have found most people to be very nice and have made friends with every visit. With that said, I'm always aware of our surroundings and carry a pocket knife. Everywhere we go. Have fun in NYC, but if u want some real pizza, go to Chicago:)

The laws in NYC are quite different from those in most places in the rest of the state (i.e.restrictive). Also a civil lawsuit can be as bad or worse than criminal charges in terms of their effects on your life....."bear spray" is still pepper spray no matter how you slice it....if your wife was going to Rochester NY I'd be saying something very different.