Fillet Knives (Big Fish)

Hello everyone,

This isn't exactly tackle but it I would assume it is an important part of the equipment for those who keep and process their fish.  I'm looking to get a new fillet knife for those "Big" fish (Stripers/Salmon/Lake run Trout) and was looking for some recommendations/suggestions.  I've historically always bought cheaper Stainless (cabela's fisherman kit) fillet knives that always seem dull no matter how much I sharpen them (I use those basic carbide sharpener that you slide the knife through).  I was thinking of buying one of the styles below (see pic) but am not sure they are really worth it ($50 - $150).  I'm wondering if the type of stainless (or plain steel) matters in how long it keeps it's edge?  In all the advertisements I've seen the knifes always seem sharp but they are trying to sell knives.  guess my real question is two part (can you make a cheap knife sharp and is there really a noticeable difference in steel quality).  Another problem I have with my knives now are is when you skin the fillet I always whack my knuckles (unless fish is on edge of table where it falls off LOL). (anyone use those bubba blades?)

Questions:

- What knife you suggest (characteristics you like, length/stiffness/etc)

- how long does it stay sharp (this is relative I know)

- how do you sharpen it

Josh

post-152231-0-73021500-1385244331_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure that if you do a search on here you'll find the previous thread where the whole filet knife "series" was discussed and most of what you are asking is in there.

As far as knife sharpening goes, invest in a Work Sharp knife sharpener. It put a edge on the cheapest of blades and are fast and easy to use. Check them out at Cabelas

I used to think I knew how to sharpen a knife until I got a worksharp.  Now I know what a really sharp knife is.