Best Flasher/SD and Fly Combo 2013?

Adk1

Whichever one had the right speed and action and was closest to the fish and looked right in the water....when you look at the variety of things above it seems pretty clear to me :lol:

Far and away, my best combo out of Olcott was the Nuclear Green Spinny with a Hammer Fly, particularly once the sun came up.  I can't tell you how many times this season I would swap out a dead rod with that combo and have it fire within 5-10 minutes of putting it down.  Same lead, same depth as the f/f it replaced, on both riggers and divers.  It happened too many times to be a coincidence, IMO.

Who knows, it may not get a bite next year, but that combo was an absolute stud this year.

Tim

Over the years a main theme in Lake O seems to have been GREEN anything....lures, attractors, flies....you name it. Much of the year the water has a distinct green cast to it. My hunch is that the green color of the objects in the greenish water maybe enhanced by the natural sunlight at certain levels or at times of the day appear more "natural" to the fish and they may be more likely to strike objects that color more readily or frequently....just a thought....but I still think that the action and proximity (closeness in space) are more likely to get results and is why it matters the distance from attractors both from the ball and from the attractor to lure for example

Edited by Sk8man

Over the years a main theme in Lake O seems to have been GREEN anything....lures, attractors, flies....you name it. Much of the year the water has a distinct green cast to it. My hunch is that the green color of the objects in the greenish water maybe enhanced by the natural sunlight at certain levels or at times of the day appear more "natural" to the fish and they may be more likely to strike objects that color more readily or frequently....just a thought....but I still think that the action and proximity (closeness in space) are more likely to get results and is why it matters the distance from attractors both from the ball and from the attractor to lure for example

Sk8man. I'm new to lake o. What are some common distances between ball and attractor. And attractor to lure (fly/spoon/meat)

I think most folks experiment according to their own boat/motor/equipment setups and I know many of the folks on here would have different setups and views than me. Most of the time during the height of salmon season I run pretty close to the ball if running flasher/fly combos say 3-6 ft (I have on occasion run it 18 inches from the ball and caught steelhead and salmon as well). I vary the distance of the fly too from18 inches to 3 ft or so depending on conditions. It also depends on what/how much else you are running and at what speeds (mainly to avoid tangles).  Spin Docs can also be a problem in this regard. There seems to be a relationship of distance from the ball (for me at least) in terms of the fish being attracted by the continuity of the ball/attractor/lure vs. when the components are too far separated... ( they shy away from it). At least that is the way it has looked on my depth finder over the years. I think the ball may spook them in some cases but there are also times when the fish seem to want it further from the ball....again you have to experiment during the present conditions. Trolling is always an experiment for me :)

Edited by Sk8man