Buck playing dead!

flybuster

This buck is not playing dead, he is wounded and conserving energy, he would have been dead there if left for a little while longer. I've had a deer do that to me as well, grabbed it by the leg and pulled it over a log, and Wham!!! Kicked me right in the chest, up and gone, never did find it again!!!!

Found it very funny! But two things were wrong. Hunter states it is still breathing and he doesn't shoot it to end the suffering or possible escape. Then he approaches and touches the deer on the belly side, where he could easily have been kicked and/or injured. This was a very lucky hunter to not have been injured.

I had that happen to me 35 years ago on a PA 7 point.  I shot the deer on openng day just after noon with my then 7 year old son along with me.  The deer fell and we approached from behind.  I touched the hind quarter with my rifle muzzle and the buck jumped and ran.  There was a blood trail, so son and I went back to our stand and sat for a half hour.  We then blood trailed the buck about 80 yards through some scrub pines and found him lying dead down the hillside.  Thanks for posting.  It brought back a pleasant memory I hadn't had for a while.  I'm taking my grandson with me Monday on opening day of PA rifle season to make more memories.

I shot a doe early in my hunting career that taught me to be more thorough checking vital signs. I dropped it where it was standing and our neighbor crossed the road to see what I'd gotten. After we had a 5 minute conversation next to the deer, I slung my shotgun over my shoulder, grabbed it by the hind legs and started dragging it to a better spot for dressing. Imagine my surprise when it kicked me in the butt and tried (unsuccessfully) to run away!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app