Thanksgiving day hunt 2013

RUNNIN REBEL

I have not had much time to hunt this year like i wanted too. BUT i have a really good knowledge of the property i hunt. {deer cams HELPED learning curve} Opening weekend saw many deer, just doe with pups and no bucks over 6 pts. Big bucks were very late nocturnal moving. So i patterned the doe groups feeding {apples/clover} to bedding . THEN the SNOW came with cold temps and more SNOW ! This helped limit the deer trails down to a few closer routes than the wide pattern they had . On a previous evening hunt I watched a group of 6 doe working trail into orchard to feed , 1 nice buck tended them BUT would not EVER go into orchard with them, he would just stand on side of hills in thick stuff. Doe would spook in windy/open Orchard and leave with him as i sat in my orchard stand with nothing but doe targets. Sooooo on thanks giving AM i hunted with my nephew Todd {Larry's other son------Chad's brother} He knew were the deer were coming out of and returning to bedding spots and took the lower {exit trails} I decided to hunt the middle on the ground in middle of HUGE over grown vines hanging every were. And as luck happens 6 doe and 1 buck start coming from far away. as i watch they split up with all doe going to orchard and buck drops down to thick stuff. As he ducks into HUGE VINE cover, he gets nervous and "Mewwwws" the does back down to him. Unbelievable how does react to that.....Well with 6 more sets of eyes coming at me , that buck never gets off a 3rd'''' Mewwwww" And i let him have it with a 2000 ft/per second sabot. HE never buckles/kicks or jolts .  just looks my way and starts to trott down snow trail towards  my nephew direction. I send a 2nd sabot at him and same thing---No slipping/jerking or anything that looked like i hit him. I start to think i missed him twice ?????  well now he BOLTS and i send 3rd shot at him and he just skids to a halt behind 3 trees. I have 1 shot left and am literally shaking ,,,thinking i missed again!  Telling myself last shot....... as soon as i see neck #4 shot is going...... then nothing,,,,,Todd texts me and say"s nothing came by him. Well my shaking (1year older ass--------{birthday day before) gets out of vine pile to find him FALLEN over like a cardboard deer sign.  no struggling in snow, just laying side ways...........

Every year it is something different about the hunt that makes the memories......I think any ways

post-139748-0-55496700-1385784160_thumb.jpg

post-139748-0-31314300-1385784178_thumb.jpg

post-139748-0-42793100-1385784206_thumb.jpg

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL

I forgot to mention. I had hit him all 3 shots. with every slug passing threw him.. Do not know how he appeared to be not hit ?????????

That's one hell of a nice buck, great story behind it also. I can't believe those sabots didn't flatten him right in his tracks

Jerry, you were saying 2000 fps sabot. Those weren't the Hornady SST I hope. I had similar results on deer with both the smoke pole and shotgun. Pass through and run. Lost two deer that way. One muzzy and one shotgun, they are accurate but don't open up on terminal. I like the winchester supreme partition. Never a problem collecting deer.

Beautiful buck there my man, you dome good!

Mark

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice deer.  I shot a deer once that showed no signs of being hit.  No blood or hair and bounded off with it flag up like nothing was wrong.  I couldn't see where the slug hit either.  I caught a whiff of something familiar and decided to still hunt after it and found it piled up about a hundred yards.  The angle was a liver stomach lungs angle so it filled up with blood.  Even after finding the deer could not back track where it had come from.  It can be easy to lose them.  Congratulations.

Shot a doe with the hornady sst's last week. I knew I hit the mark but she took off like a bat out of he!! Not a drop of blood, but after some tracking found her 70yds from point of impact. Entry and exits were very clean. I don't think the round ever expanded. Sounds like that might not have been an anomaly

Dasa my boy,now yer thinkin outa the box..those big boys are a different spieces for shure..even in cold weather them biguns will hold the cover till dark (most times),and near those orchards im surprised they havent dug tunnels.Also Its nice to hit every shot but do some homework where to aim..the ears and tail wont put them down,try the lungs or heart area..Looks like you brushed his eyebrows to match yours ,or he was starting to grow a second set of antlers,are you near the nuke plant?

Guess I can't talk much this year tho I have seen 2 shooters this year with no shot within 250 yds, I think im in the tunnel area as every thing has dissapeard where i hunt . spent the last week in Michigan with the family and next week taking my mom to florida,so its muzzy or bust..when i get home.Now ya got something to hang above yer tv..congrats Jerry.

This is last years buck i shot with same shell. NOTICE the lump in the side of his neck. That is my sabot slug, it tore threw inside without an exit hole. No bleeding anywhere (nose or mouth or body )   on this picture and he to fell over like a carboard buck sign.

post-139748-0-16949600-1386039386_thumb.jpg

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL

THANKS GUY"S

Mark I always shoot Winchester partition golds 3"

i saved last years slug that i took out of my buck last year. It opened nicely, edges jagged and sharp

Yup!..saved a slug from an 8 point my daughters boyfriend shot with my H&R ultra slug one year. Slug entered right front shoulder 45 degrees quartering to, and like your deer, had a lump under the skin on the left side just in front of the hind quarter. Slug went through everything inside. Made a mess to clean out. Slug popped out with knife tip. Perfect expansion, banana peeled, base intact. I'll get a picture when home before Christmas, if I can find it.

Mark

This is the sabot slug i saved from the neck of last year,s buck.  Opened-jagged and sharp.

I know you are thinking it must be shot placement then.

post-139748-0-37909600-1386331391_thumb.jpg

post-139748-0-23519600-1386331467_thumb.jpg

post-139748-0-27663900-1386331524_thumb.jpg

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

That looks exactly like the one I retrieved. These deer are tough, and strong will to flee. Shot placement perfecting or not, with brain and spine intact they still can amazingly act as though unharmed lots of times! Dan's deer ran 50 yards with basically jelly for vitals.

Mark