Lake Trout out of Oswego

I have no problem. When trolling to see every little thing my balls are doing when I speed up they swing out and rise when I slow they drop. When I set them on bottom and drag I can see that too. All under power. When I turn some rise a little some drop a little. All this is visible On my soNar While my balls are not directly under the boat. If what your saying is true. Then there would be no rise at On the ball when I speed up. If your theory is correct then the cannon digitroll Setup would be a compete fraud Because their bottom tracking rigged to a humming bird ff would not be acurate as they claim I personally don't Havd one. But I know a couple people that swear by them. You are definatly a well informed person but you are still wrong. I have been waiting on the phone to raymarine. For an hour If I ever get thru I'll ask them what they think. I'm actually calling them cause I am in the process of rigging up my new evolution autopilot and trying to network it to everything else on boat If I'm wrong I'll admit it. But I'm not

Hey - No worries. You and I are a lot alike. We both run Raymarine, both run heavy downrigger weights, and both think we are right all of the time!!!! I have Raymarine autopilot and a separate C127 plotter with all of my stuff networked together including my Raymarine Radar. I am very happy with all of it. You should buy a Fishhawk X4D or one of those new smart troll units. That would settle it once and for all.

http://smarttroll.com/ 

http://doctorsonar.com/blogs/educational-articles/12380345-lowrance-pros-corner-by-luke-morris

See critical concept #3 towards the end of this article. Replace the word fish with weight and imagine that the fish in the first diagram is a downrigger weight.

That is a really good read. Thanks for that link. ...and that was a really good "Google Search" :)

I also like this last sentence in critical concept #2 "This does not mean the suspended fish was 16 feet deep. Only that at the closest

point it was 16 feet from the transducer, while the boat was in 31 feet of water."

This would apply to the downrigger ball as well....

WOW!! thanks for sharing that very impressive bit of information, I can plainly see now I've been fishing below a lot of fish, and there was a post saying that a lot of people run to deep and understandably why, if you don't know what your looking at, who would of thought that the sharp arches aren't the one's you want to be paying attention to, the rounder more flat one are where to set up on, GOOD GREIF Charlie brown, Hey it just goes to show you your never to old to learn. Excellent thread guys :yes:

There is one effect of blowback that might explain some of the disagreement. 

Blowback causes the downrigger cable to bow in an arc, not a straight line.  As speed increases, the arc increases causing the downrigger ball to move closer to the transducer.   This is why the downrigger ball sonar reading changes as speed changes.

On one of my first trips out with my depth probe, I noticed the downrigger counter read 100ft, the sonar showed my downrigger ball at 95 ft, and the depth probe was giving me a depth reading of 85ft.  I figured broken depth probe as I was trolling pretty slow.  Well, I pulled my lines and put the boat in neutral and watched as all readings gradually went to within a foot of the 100 ft on my downrigger cable counter.  Probe was working afterall.

The difference between my depth probe reading and the sonar reading is due to the angular position of the downrigger ball in my sonar cone as stated in one of the posts above.

The difference between my sonar reading and my downrigger counter was due to the arc in the cable.

The bottom line was the effect of blowback on my downrigger ball depth was much greater than I thought.

Edited by kayaker919

Very good points Kayaker. I forgot about the "arc" created and that also is a huge factor in how much your ball rises as you increase either speed and/or depth. I remember it being about 25% off when running a 12 lb weight at about 100 down doing about 2.6 mph. My actual depth probe was saying I was only about 75 down and my sonar might have been reading something like 90 down due to the arc in the rigger line when it should have stayed at 100 down. In either case, that probe taught me a lot about where my downriggers were fishing. Taught me to make sure I buy really heavy weights to help alleviate some of that. It also showed me that speed makes a HUGE difference. You go from 2.2 to 2.8 and your weight blows way back and rises much more than you would think especially if you are running 12 lbs or less.

You can really tell a lot if you can understand your sonar better. That Doctor Sonar article is great.

Bring it on. I had it coming. I know how to take it like a Man

I think most of us are on here to talk about fishing and maybe learn a little bit too. I try to keep an open mind but am pretty stubborn most of the time. I would still be fishing Evil Eye spoons and Dodgers / rubber squids if I hadn't been told a dozen times that there are better options out there.

Bring it on. I had it coming. I know how to take it like a Man

After reading that post from Lowrance, I think many guys will be scratching there head :thinking: that article was a real eye opener for me also, one thing I wanted to tell you guys was I did a little experiment myself, I had 10# rigger weight and was fishing Henderson Harbor had weights set at 115ft and was running over a lot of fish and no takers, and others were killing them, so I pulled up everything and set 1 rigger at 115 and headed towards Stony island at 2.2mph and didn't bump up until we hit 75ft of water, that's how much blow back we had, since then we went to heavier weights and got better results and less blow back, also was going with what the sonar was showing us, not so and we proved it to ourselves, you can't go by what the depth finder is showing unless your rigger cable is strait down. 

You know without differences of opinion discussions (and learning for that matter) wouldn't take place. The fact is that folks have given valuable input on this issue from a number of angles and we can take away from it whatever we wish.  In the final analysis it is important that we all come away from the discussion with greater understanding of the issue (s) and maintain our respect for our right to express our views here as well as each others views regardless whether we agree with the content of them. We've all been right AND wrong at some point in our lives....and as long as we learn something along the way it's all part of the learning experience.  This is a great forum of exchange of information and a wonderful resource from which to learn and we all have good reason to keep it that way.