KICKER MOTOR

gpearce

Looking to buy a kicker for my 23ft Campion. The 470 merc is too fast... and thirsty.

I don't have the balls to ask my wife for nice 4 stroke set up with auto, so I am limited to a used 2 stroke.

Question is, If I purchase an older one what horsepower would you guys go with?, will non electric start work or be a pain? and what can I do for throttle control?

9.9 or 15 hp probably long or extra long shaft (25inch). My 1987 9.9 Johnson (new in 1989) still trolls about 10 hrs. on 3 gal non-ethanol gas) You would really appreciate electric start despite them being relatively easy to start manually when running right. I'll leave the throttle control issue to someone else here....

I have the exact same motor except it's a 15 horse, what I did for the throttle control is just use the handle twist and under the part that swings up there should be adjustments to make the twist function tighter, so all I did was make it tighter/harder to twist so the throttle wouldn't back off, works for me I also bought a handle extension, as my kicker is mounted at the edge of my swim platform, I also lengthen the pull rope, and cut a slot out of a eye hook which is screwed on to my board that goes across the top of the transom where my riggers are mounted. I turn the eye hook up a little, slip the pull rope in the eyelet and, now my pull rope is where I can easily get to it, 2 pulls and set speed with the kicker and steer off the main motor with E Z Steer. Lets go fishing!!! 

I was able to find a '95 Evinrude 2 stroke 9.9 w/electric start for my also '95 21 foot Crestliner Eagle.

I went to my local marine salvage yard and got a used control box (cheap) for the throttle.  I had room to mount it directly under my big motor control box. Just had to cut a hole for the assembly. You can also get dual control boxes but I didn't have to as I had the room and was trying to save money. Ordered the control cable I needed online for under $50 and hooked it up. Easy.

Mine was outboard to outboard so it only cost me $30 for the Panther steering arm. 

The 9.9 does a good job and does everything I ask it to do. I would have gotten a 15 if I could have found one but it just so happened I found the 9.9 at a good price and went with it. I think when the time comes to upgrade to a remote 4 stroker I'll probably go with a 15 though.