Best way to sharpen fillet knife on the boat

vetting

I clean a lot of fish on the boat and Im looking for a good knife shapener.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I have a few of the $10 quick sharpeners where you just run the blade through a few times, but wondering if there is something better.  I konw the best way is a stone kit, but that isnt the most partical for quick shapening while in the waves.

I don;t know about you but I always use 2 knives when filleting large trout and salmon. The one knife which is more like a hunting knive is used only to make the top cut along the back bone and the bottom cut to rid of the belly fat. This knife takes the majority of the rough area which really dulls thin bladed knives. I then use skinning pliers so my fillet knive doesn't have to make that cut and then cut the fillet. This procedure allows me to cut alot more fillets with a sharp knife than doing it other wise. I have found that the quickest sharpening method of all my knifes has been to use Case crock sticks. These ceramic sticks fit into a wooden block at the exact angle needed for any knife. Using this after each fish I never have a dull knife. It takes only a couple of strokes to make your knife 100%. These sticks only work well if your knife is not very dull. They bring your knife back like a chef uses a steel. If your knife is too dull you will be required to use a stone prior to using the sticks. I've never used this system on a boat but I have used it outdoors many times and have had no problems.

Those quick sharpeners you mentioned remove way too much of your blade and make you knife not last very long.

The only thing you have to do to maintain the crock sticks is to run a steel wool pad along the stick after your done to remove the metal from the stick. I've been using my Crock sticks for 15 years and they still work as good as the day I first used them.

I was just looking at the Work sharp tool.   Has any one bought one cause I am about to pull the trigger on one and see if it works as well as they say.   The principle behind it sounds great!  Tired of my Smith carbide pull through but it works...

I do a lot of butchering every year deer ducks geese and even beef, I have a few of those quick sharpness in my different hunting bags and one on the boat I also have a smiths precision sharpening set which has a clam for the blade and a guide for proper sharpening every time with 2 stones a coarse and fine and also a ceramic. But by far the best for me and also what I consider the quickest is my steel I have a steel my great grandfather have me and also a ceramic rod once you get the the art of it you won't look back 2-4 passes on each side of the blade after each fish and its like a hot knife through butter everytime. But each and every person has a way that works for them

I use the $4 yellow shapeners that has carbide V on one side and stone V on the other. They are about 2in square and bright yellow with rubber bottoms to prevent slipping. 3 swipes across the carbide turns the edge razor sharp. The V design allows you to sharpen any blade angle. You can find them at walmart (camping section)dicks, or any sporting goods storw. Sorry don't know the name but they are like $4. I have one in boat and house. Sharpens my large fillet and hunting knives with ease.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use the same one as Poverty Stricken for "tune ups" I think they are made by Normark (of Rapala fame). They are pretty handy to carry and I keep a few of them around. For initial full and periodic edge renewal I use the old flat sharpening stones coarse, medium,then fine and use ceramic for final sharpness...edge comes out like a razor edge.

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...

Guys you really shouldn't use carbide on your knives unless it is completely dull and maybe in a survival situation.

I have talked with various professional sharpeners and they told me if you have to sharpen your knife between fish or small animals you need a better knife. I posted a thread about a knife sharpener kit I recently bought which was highly recommended by these professionals and I can see why. They all recommended ceramic sticks for touch ups but nothing will beat a good diamond or stone hone.  I am guilty of having cheap filet knives but I generally sharpen them all. Once one starts to get dull I set her aside and start with one of the sharpened knives.  

I have found instead of a fillet knife a quality 8" boning knife with semi flexible blade will filet a good 75 fish before needing a touch up.  

I look at it this way if I can drop $100+ on a rod and reel then I can drop $40-$70 on a quality knife.

Go to Lowes & Buy a  two sided diamond hone that stores inside itself . They are at the end of one of the rows in the tool dept.  Can't remember the brand name . About  $15. it rocks,  I use it for  Filllet & hunting knives. I sharpen my  razor utility knive blades at work instead of changing them out all the time. I use it for plane blades & chisels. I sharpened a$30 carbide  stair router bit that was hammered & made it almost new in about 5 min. It has paid for itself 10 times over. They also make great gifts. Learn basic sharpening techs  to master .

It has a hook hone on it also.

Just remembered , it's made by Smiths. Also have a butterfly style rat tail diamond hone in the kitchen I use on my kitchen knives . Works well on serated knives as well . My wife gets mad at me cause I have them all like razors & she cuts herself on them once in a while. Just used it. I cut my Oranges up into wedges & fillet them like a perch to eat them.

Edited by Has Been

• 3 weeks later...

I've actually been thinking about sharpening.  I was given a nice set of knives of alaska fillet knives for christmas (best wife ever) and need to sharpen them up.  The only sharpener I have is the Spyderco sharpmaker set I got for my hunting knives. (http://spiderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77)  Will this work on Fillet's too?  The bevel is totally different on fillet knives right?  Something like 15 degrees?

I ended up going with the Smiths 3-1 field sharpener.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_catalog_command.cmd?fromProductSearch=true&item1=IK-517054

Has carbide, diamond stone, and ceramic rods.  Plus hook sharpening groves on the stone and the ceramic rods.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.