I said I was Blessed .......not good...

ray koziatek

well last year I shot a 165 class with my bow and a 155 with my gun..well this year has been payback so far..passed many small bucks with the bow and filled my doe tag with the gun. After hunting my secret spot for 5 days without seeing one deer I gave it one last try yesterday ,as i was supposed to leave on a trip till the end of gun season. Well seeing just does all day i was gonna shoot the first deer with horns from spike to whatever... At 355 i tear down my last tree setup and head to the canoe.I'll be darned if a light buck didn't back track my footsteps to the river,Some snow and soft ground and 40 plus years made the ID easy..with only 10 min of time before sunset I see the buck as i approach the canoe getting a drink . I lay down perfect 100 yd shot and squeeze as he turns yup i miss and he runs down river another 50 yds and stands behind brush..So I get in the canoe and let the current coast me to him...yup the fat end of the canoe (me) spins and goes backwards. I slowly paddle around and bump the shore 20 yds from him..at the same time i stand with 1 foot in 6in of water for stability and he bolts across in front of me at 15 yds . I pull up to see my scope on high power. I knew i had to lower the gun and crank down to 3x he had about 1 more jmp to clear the bank at 50 yds away when i pulled up and dropped him in his tracks on the run (in the heart too) . it was a small 8pt did I mention small...well the rack was maybe 14 in but its body was puny and all bones i struggled with all 90lbs of him . I knew it was way way to thin so i disected him to find a small hard belley with almost no food in it . Then i looked it over to find someone shot it in the lower jaw with a small calliber rifle .the woond was heald so it had to be from bow season. somehow this poor thing survived a month or so without eating and it showed ,it looked like a emancapated dog from a TV advertisment. Needless to say I didnt tag him as I felt the meat might be unsafe . But I had the pleasure of putting him out of his suffering..

The good news is the airlines canceled my flight till friday and I have a few more days to hunt...if not i still have my photos from past years...Ya can't say I havent been blessed but hey I got 3 days and muzzy season..................

post-139681-0-60572900-1386007118_thumb.jpg

post-139681-0-66551000-1386007166_thumb.jpg

post-139681-0-99766000-1386007240_thumb.jpg

post-139681-0-67966000-1386007285_thumb.jpg

post-139681-0-53958300-1386007350_thumb.jpg

post-139681-0-04689000-1386007398_thumb.jpg

I hope u at least called the dec and got a tag for it so the deer didn't go to waste? If it was running to get away it obviously had strength enough to live if the jaw was healed it could of probably got better. If it was laying there and couldn't get up i could see putting it out so it didn't suffer. You obviously are a good hunter if you are killing deer like that i just don't think deer should go to waste in less it was gangrene.

Sent from my DROIDX using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ray,

Tuff story, You have seen alot in your time spent outdoors. Add this to it.

Good luck the rest of your outings here and south. 

You truly are "OLD SCHOOL"

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

I hope u at least called the dec and got a tag for it so the deer didn't go to waste? If it was running to get away it obviously had strength enough to live if the jaw was healed it could of probably got better. If it was laying there and couldn't get up i could see putting it out so it didn't suffer. You obviously are a good hunter if you are killing deer like that i just don't think deer should go to waste in less it was gangrene.

TLuck, The man did say he dissected the animal to find a round hard stomach, which means it's starving to death along with it looking like a walking skeleton. Deer will run till they literally fall over, if being pushed. A distinguished hunter, such as Ray certainly can tell the difference between a deer worth consuming and a deer just clinging on to life, which means it's body is actually using it's own flesh to stay alive is not worth taking the chance on consuming it for ones self. Bottom line coyote bait, and if it's that ill, they will step around it also, as they are not stupid either. I once found a road kill and tried using it for yote bait, all they did was walk around it and leave, never touched it and it was a fresh kill.

PAP i do understand that. Its still not legal and i am.3 years ago same thing happened to me with a buck i was after it was wounded and alive walked up to it and shot it they came and gave me another tag and took the deer i guess i am just by the book. I have been reading his posts and can tell hes a real good hunter i just like doing what they say you should do and if you shoot a deer it gets tagged!

't' been trying to get to the bottom of the "Gun" hunting during bow season for a few years. This year I never even got a return call when it started to happen again.

So I should call the Dec and say ,I'm the guy who called in the gun shots during bow season. No one returned my call ,well gosh darn I just shot a wounded deer ,looks like a small cal. round busted its lower jaw, too bad their wasn't a law against guys shooting deer in bow season with a small cal.rifle...I would like to drag it 400 yds fill out my tag drive it home ,and wait for you to show up to take the emancapated deer and,re issue another tag..just so i'M legal ..hello ,,hello,,,hello ,,,yes i'll wait...

Ray i was not trying to upset you and i wish they would get everyone of those a-- h---- that shoot deer with a gun during bow. Where i live the dec is very good and always show up when i call (witch is only twice) just thought the deer deserved a tag didn't mean to upset anyone i am just by the book and i sure you are to good luck late season hope you kill a stud

not upset dude just fillin ya in as to why i left it lay ...with over 40 years hunting ,and growing up in the country, and spending a majority of my youth playing in the woods ,I have seen 1 or 2 strange things over the years..Tell Ya what when i get my return call from around oct 15th.. I will inform the dec of the wounded,sick deer..as far as another big buck Ive always said ...the right place at the right time...Thanks Tho.

Thats true be where they live and right place at the right time i have not seen a shooter since October 29 i live in central ny and a 3 year old is hard to find around me only one sighting of the one i was after this year maybe this weekend if not theres always next year

I agree with going by the book, but sometimes those that read the book don't reply, so take such matter into perspective and handle it accordingly. Like ray did and anybody else in his shoes, just so happens it's a 1/4 mile drag just for another tag, which the game com. would of took to there dumping grounds anyway, with that sick, starving thing.

Dec do not care about getting you a new tag. I shot a big doe four years ago, skinned it no more then 3 hours later. And it was wasted, gangrene bad. Hind quarters looked like delaminated plywood. I called the gamewarden he told me to take it to the biologist. I did she wasn't there. Left my name and number with the Secretary. Never got a call. Called game warden back he told me he would be at my house no later then four hours later. Long story short still waiting for that tag. Wasted three days of hunting to boot. Neither the biologist or warden called.