Skaneateles 12/1

rnsurfnturf

after hunting the entire week with no deer to show for it, after making a trip to little sodus for perch without putting a fish in the boat, to say by yesterday i was disappointed would be and understatement. Sat in the woods sunday morning and saw nothing. Went home...hooked up the boat and headed to skaneateles marina . It took me a bit to find them,but brought some home to eat. Most of them were 34 to 40 ft...but a couple were caught in 20 as well. Their spittin up perch and crayfish. Almost all were on a pumpkin slider with a couple on fatheads. The bigger ones were 12.5 to 13".

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-149354-1386008118536_thumb.jpg

post-149354-13860081486301_thumb.jpg

Nice December catch! I've always done them on the stove.... What is your oven method and recipe if I may ask?

Be a while before I can get out to get some more due to being told not to fish for three months because of recent cancer treatment and nuked immune system. :(

Bruce

That sucks that little sodus didn't produce, it used to be my go to spot but not the last couple years, that's why I explored otisco last ice season.... anyway nice to see skan. Produced I never fished it but one day will take my kayak over

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1st off ...

bbolger , I am sorry to hear of your misfortune and wish you a speedy recovery so you can go out and get yourself a batch of perch!

the oven fried fish is a piece of cake and awesome without the oil! You can pretty much bread the fish how you normally would .....dipped in egg and then your favorite breading. (in the picture is Kraft homestyle oven fry bake)

Melt butter so that it covers the bottom of the baking dish(you can also use "i cant believe its not butter)

Preheat oven to 425° , dip fish in egg and breading and then lay it in the baking dish getting the butter on both sides of the fish and then place in oven 12- 20 minutes depending on thickness of fish.  OUTSTANDING! just fish with breading and no oil!. I've done it with walleye and perch so far. I've also used the golden dipt cajun which is excellent also.

Meathunter, my buddy was hammering the perch up in little sodus just a few days prior , so apparently I had missed them by a few days.

The past 3 yrs Iv'e been going up when my buddy lets me know its on and have done really well. Just didnt happen this time.

Tim

WTG, msrfnturf! After all of the skunks you've collected, those oven fried babies tasted even better I'll bet! :)  And with the oven baked fish, just make sure if you try it, take it out before you think it might be ready. Although not bad as baked fish jerky, it will be far better undercooked...won't be at all. An oven can dry out the fish quicker than u think. bbolger....keep to the plan and all good powers to you! If you can't fish right now, and don't get freebees from a fishing friend, try store bought ocean perch, or for a more sustainably cool to eat fish, tilapia......But do try for those freebees.... :nod:  ;) !!

Thanks for the recipe! Gave about 80 frozen fillets to some of the folks that worked with me up atWilmot Cancer Center plus a buch to others! Should have kept a beter eye on my "stock"! May have a few left somewhere in the frezzer....

Bruce