Sodus Pro/Am dates set

Mark your calendars Ladies and Gentleman! The official date will be July 19th and 20th! 

Put your time-off in from work and stay tuned for as we have some great things planned for this Summer!

Edited by fishman08

Wish I could get the time off of work to get back into fishing them now they are straightened out.

It's not happening with this new job I started last February.

Really nice to post the dates so far in advance also.

Jesus, makes one think the contestants are important. 

That's a pleasant change. :yes:

Keep up the good work guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt, As long as we are preparing so far ahead, will we have 10 foot waves again?  Just want to be sure we think of all aspects of the tourney....not just the rules!!!  :P

That's the only time i've ever had the urge to chum.  Although i did manage to hold it down.

Adk1, The Sodus Pro Am draws boats of all shapes and sizes. To answer your question, it all depende on $$$ and your location. There are several ramps for trailered boats to launch, some charge a small fee (private), some are free (State owned). Lodgeing goes from trailer parks to fancy bed & breakfasts. All depending on what you want. Wayne County tourism has info on everything you might need. Contact them on line and they will send you all the info you need. They helped run our tournement for several years and are still major supporters. Plan your trip early as it gets pretty busy in the summertime.

• 5 weeks later...

Can a am team just have a father and son

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I can answer this for you from experience. Yes, a father & son only team is allowed and two persons is all you need with the 6 rod limit.

One thing to consider. I fished not only Sodus, but other tournaments as well last year as a father & son only team.  I hope to do it again this season and in the future, but last year the weather absolutely kicked the snot out of me and made any chance of being competitive nearly impossible for father / son only team.  I have auto pilot, but in 8 foot waves it doesn't do much and really limits your options.

For example: Day one in Sodus I tried to force it and fish browns but I couldn't stay on the water and speed I needed with the wind & waves, and ended the day in last place with 1 fish :(   Day two was even worse conditions, but I accepted the weather and pounded myself out to 600 and trolled in with the waves and fished steelhead.  We caught 8 (three shorts we had to release) including the second biggest king of the event and moved all the way up to 5th.   

What I'm trying to say is that I have had the best times I've ever had fishing with kids in tournaments. In 2012 we took a first place with a father & kid team.  That tournament had decent weather conditions though. Even last year, day one in Sodus was a low point, but that made day two feel much better than actually was by what we both knew we had overcome.  The weather took us out of being competitive in multiple events last year, but you learn to accept it and the time bonding with the kid is priceless.

One other thing I might mention to fathers looking to get into tourneys with their kid.  Don't trust them to keep an eye on the gps!!  No matter what they may know, kids are kids and it bites you in the ass at the most inopportune times, lol

On day two in Sodus we would pound (and I mean pound in 8 foot waves) our way out to 600 and troll into 100-150 fow. We repeated this about 5 times.  Since we were fishing Steel, we had 3 that were short and had to toss back. That left us at 5 so we fished till the last minute going for #6.  I let Justin, who is now 14 and passed his boaters safety course,  drive the boat. When I pull lines to run in, I find we are not out front like I thought, but 15 miles west of port with 4 foot seas and a half hour to get back.

30 mph in 4's in a 24 footer isn't fun :)  When there is just the two of you in tough conditions, the father just has to many duties so you tend to delegate. I messed up on that one though.  We made it to port in time, but I'm not sure my boat will ever forgive me.  All's well that ends well though.

Hope to see you and some other father & son teams at Sodus this year!!

Edited by Fishtails

I can answer this for you from experience. Yes, a father & son only team is allowed and two persons is all you need with the 6 rod limit.

One thing to consider. I fished not only Sodus, but other tournaments as well last year as a father & son only team.  I hope to do it again this season and in the future, but last year the weather absolutely kicked the snot out of me and made any chance of being competitive nearly impossible for father / son only team.  I have auto pilot, but in 8 foot waves it doesn't do much and really limits your options.

For example: Day one in Sodus I tried to force it and fish browns but I couldn't stay on the water and speed I needed with the wind & waves, and ended the day in last place with 1 fish :(   Day two was even worse conditions, but I accepted the weather and pounded myself out to 600 and trolled in with the waves and fished steelhead.  We caught 8 (three shorts we had to release) including the second biggest king of the event and moved all the way up to 5th.   

What I'm trying to say is that I have had the best times I've ever had fishing with kids in tournaments. In 2012 we took a first place with a father & kid team.  That tournament had decent weather conditions though. Even last year, day one in Sodus was a low point, but that made day two feel much better than actually was by what we both knew we had overcome.  The weather took us out of being competitive in multiple events last year, but you learn to accept it and the time bonding with the kid is priceless.

One other thing I might mention to fathers looking to get into tourneys with their kid.  Don't trust them to keep an eye on the gps!!  No matter what they may know, kids are kids and it bites you in the ass at the most inopportune times, lol

On day two in Sodus we would pound (and I mean pound in 8 foot waves) our way out to 600 and troll into 100-150 fow. We repeated this about 5 times.  Since we were fishing Steel, we had 3 that were short and had to toss back. That left us at 5 so we fished till the last minute going for #6.  I let Justin, who is now 14 and passed his boaters safety course,  drive the boat. When I pull lines to run in, I find we are not out front like I thought, but 15 miles west of port with 4 foot seas and a half hour to get back.

30 mph in 4's in a 24 footer isn't fun :)  When there is just the two of you in tough conditions, the father just has to many duties so you tend to delegate. I messed up on that one though.  We made it to port in time, but I'm not sure my boat will ever forgive me.  All's well that ends well though.

Hope to see you and some other father & son teams at Sodus this year!!

Great story!!  :)  We were in a 31 ft boat and threw the towel in after a few hours both days.

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the weigh in is going to be at captain jacks, $100 per boat, and entry will be available shortly once the website is up... we had the website ready to go months ago but had difficulty changing hands of the website but it should be up soon