Lansky Diamond knife sharpener

Chas0218

Anyone use one of these?  I am looking for a few tips. I have a bunch of kitchen, processing, and fillet knives that need to be sharpened.

I have watched a few youtube videos and it seems easy enough I just figured if there were any suggestion before I do the trial and error method.

I've have a old one not not diamond with 3 stones works good for normal blades...... not a good fit for thick ones...... the first time you'll need all three stones then if you stay with them only one...... insure you count the number of times for each stroke for each side.....when you get down too your finest stone only make two (2) before flipping to other side......

I bought one about 20 years ago with the standard 3 stone setup. It worked great on all my knives. When the original stones wore out I replaced the medium and fine stones with the diamond version. The only thing I've changed is I use Case ceramic sticks to keep the edge like a razor all the time. The only issue I've ever had with the Laskey system is you tend to remove too much blade material each time you use it. It works fine but blades don't last for more than a few years if you use it alot like I did. I own top quality knives and don't like replacing them too often.

I have a few knives mostly cheaper ones and a few older butcher knives that are duller than a butter knife. They are all hard stainless (IIRC All around 60hrc)

Sent from my thinking chair...

The Laskey sharpener will work great for your knives as the as the course stone will get your knife in the proper shape for final sharpening. The best way to own a good knife is to never let it get that dull. I like you learned that the hard way. Thats why I use the Laskey now only if a blade cannot be sharpened with my ceramic sticks which isn't often anymore as I use the sticks after at least every other fish. One thing to realize is when a knife has outlived it's useful life. Knives cannot be sharpened forever as blade design will dictate the useful area for sharpening. Once the blade starts getting into the thicker area your done with it and go buy a new knife. Thats why I use the ceramic sticks more as they remove very little material but you must start with a sharp knife to get an extremely sharp knife.

Just sharpened 2 of my older boning knives last night and this little gadget is impressive.  They are razor sharp, I was able to shave my arm.  Crazy how dull they were when I first got them.  Now I am on a sharpening frenzy sharpening all the kitchen knives and outdoor knives.

If anyone is looking to get a great sharpener that will likely outlast you I would highly recommend Lansky.  

I too used to use wet stones but what is really nice about these sharpeners is that it takes the guess work out of the angles. I would recommend the diamond hone over the stones as they don't require any honing oil/moisture perfect for backpacking or general use.