New boat - advice on trolling

Traded in the family open bow for a 2014 Starweld 1800 with a 115 E-Tec over the weekend. Got a good price on the boat and for my trade so I pulled the trigger. I spent the last few years jigging for Lakers, but am ready to start trolling. I have a lot of experience trolling in saltwater, but not freshwater. I will need to learn what my trolling speed is with the big motor or if I will need to add a kicker or if the trolling motor is enough. But for next Spring, what is the easiest technique to start with - trolling with a planner boards or dipsy divers or a combination of both. I plan to start with 2 rods per side for now. Also, should I start with braid and deal with fleas or go with copper or does copper have too much of a learning curve for a newbie. Mostly fish Cayuga, Keuka, and Owasco. Thanks in advance for your replies. 

Congratulations on the new rig ! I know you'll probably get a lot of info here about how to rig up for trolling but what I would suggest is learn the ins and outs of the new boat and motor first. The E Tech 115 is a really nice motor and will troll down pretty good and is very efficient on gas ( I think you'll be amazed) One of my buddies has one and loves it for both fresh and saltwater trolling and I've fished from it several times on Canandaigua Lake.  Most motors that size (as well as my 135) were not truly designed with slow trolling in mind so they may foul the plugs  etc.during long periods of trolling....if you can get a used small motor for trolling it could help save the longevity of the115. Just a general comment regarding rigging up for trolling....most of the guys on here have been trolling and using various methods for a long time..their advice can be invaluable but I'd suggest starting out slow  and copper would be the last thing I'd add because it can get into everything else if not set up right for your particular boat and other equipment.  Initially, you'll probably have your hands full with planer boards and dipseys until you get used to them and especially if considering running downriggers as well. Get comfortable with one set up (and how it works out spacially etc. and then add others gradually. Best of luck with it.

Edited by Sk8man

I agree with les on the copper I would not start with that mistakes can be very costly at that point!!! And my own opinion I would give go with down riggers and dipsy to start out they are simple to get use to can have a lot of separation in your spread to cut back on tangles very effective and very versatile

Joe

If you want to start with boards and two per side get four church inline boards. In spring on fingers a four color and a five color on one side then a 200 and 250 or 300 copper on the other. If your going to spend $$ start with stuff that catches fish and learn how to use it. Those four setups with the right cranks or spoons in the spring will keep you busy all day. Sean

Take your wallett to Hills and Valleys...  FLT spoons and Spin Doctor Flashers plus an assortment of flies.  All the equipment you need is there too!  I sound like an advertisement but I am just a fan.....   I hope Santa gives me a gift card from there....  Or Fat Nancys :)  

I don't know if you have your rods already, but Cabelas has all there rods on sale, I have their rods and really like like them. They come a long way with their rods. They are of a durable graphite composite with stainless inserts for the eyelets for lead core, this set up (lead core) is a must have Item in my eyes, I have a 5ft rod and a 6'6 for lead core and a dipsey diver rod I have 4 a lot of times that's all I use and the riggers, I usually can only run 4 rods as I only have my uncle and myself if Dave goes I can run 6 rods, but I agree with the others on less is more, with only 4 rods out we can pay attention to what's going on with these rods and make changes till we get a program working. I already took the rigger rod off and switched to all dipseys sometime it seems that's all they want. Any way cabelas has all the trolling rods on sale for $19.99 except  the planer boards which are on sale also for $29.99 reg. $44.95. The reel is up to you but I would stay away from the Depth masters they sell, and get better reels, maybe someone on here can shine more light on the reels, there are so many out there now and I'm not familiar with the reels. I have the Depth masters they work for me but others say not, I really haven't put them to the test as I haven't used them for 2 years due to back complications, but this year will put them to the test. I don't fish near as hard as others on here so I can't say, I only have 4 trips on them with salmon and walleye caught with them, they worked ok, but their drag system is poor.

Trolling speed will be between 2.0 and 3.0 mph.

I would start with 2 rods on wire line dipseys, and another two on big game 30lb on planer boards using torpedo weights 8 oz or 12 oz to get depth. My wire line dipseys produce 60 - 70% of the fish over planers, flatline, and down riggers. So don't underestimate these.

In future you can add a down rigger to get down deeper.

get downriggers ebay has lots get two rigger rods and two leadcore rods get a pair of inline planers or big boards if you have a mast. search leadcore for how to rig and put a piece of mono in at strategic locations on your lead core.  dipseys catch me a lot of fish but I would give them up before my short cores any day especially in the spring.  with the mono pieces i can set them at different leangths on a board or run them strainght off the corners.  they catch fish so do riggers and riggers can get a lot deaper easier easy methods to learn very simple terminal tackle and not to expensive.  use basic 30 mono for backer on your riggers and get high quality fluro for leaders on both.  when i fish alone an only run three a rigger and a core go out first than the third depends on the depth i'm targeting and whichever takes fish i'll set 3 of those

Congratulations on the new boat! I have a 2012 Starweld 1800 Pro powered by 115 Yamaha. The boat is very lite  and you will likely run across significant bow rise out of the hole as well as a porpoising issue while running even with the motor fully trimmed down. You might consider a set of  Nauticus Pro Troller trim tabs. These will fix those issues as well as doubling as trolling brakes incase your big motor won't go slow enough to troll, only bad thing is you have to drill a bunch of holes in your transom. It was tough drilling holes in my new boat but it was sure worth it.

Best of luck with the new boat!

2012 Starweld 1800 Pro with Enclosure

If you go with a wire dipsy set up which I fully suggest make sure you always keep that wire taught. Do not break rods down. Keep that swivel sucked right into the twili tip or it will eventually kink and cost you a bundle!!! I keep a rubber and on an eye and hook the swivel to that. post-150731-13875610082317_thumb.jpgMake sure you use a stout rod holder with that as well! Best of luck. It may frustrate you and lighten the wallet but there's nothing like landing a true SLOB!!!