Lake Champlain mixed bag

Had a chance to get out with some buddies while in between our gun season & blackpowder season. Last week with the cold weather we had a really good push of greenheads & divers move down. My buddy hunted on Sunday in 15mph winds & shot a two man limit of mallards & whistlers. He said the could have done double...just tons of them around.

Well wed wasn't quite as good...weather was almost too nice. Clear star lit morning with out a wisp of wind....about 28 degrees:-( we set the mix of dabblers & a long line of divers & waited to see what transpired. Well 10 min after legal light we had a couple pairs of red legs buzz us but no dice. To our surprise the first bird to lock in with landing gear down is none other then a shoveler! My turn to shot & get my first of this species!! :D

As the morning moved on the dabblers slowed & the divers picked up. Not tons of them around but a steady pick of Goldeneyes & Buffies. We ended up with 9 divers & the shoveler....& of course the Honker season is closed & we had two pairs dump into the dekes & get a free pass.....go figure!

post-144354-13862485308299_thumb.jpg

Over all a beautiful morning. Hopefully a couple more hunts in before the end in a few weeks! Got some sea ducking to get in as well.... standby!!:lol:

post-144354-13862485667916_thumb.jpg

post-144354-13862485913124_thumb.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice going guys, the ducks look really healthy and colorful, the area where you are hunting looks really nice. Congrats. on the hunt and thanks for sharing, pictures are nice, keep us posted on the sea duck hunt. Thanks pap.

We only had a couple of flocks of merg's go by kevin..non of them committed to the dekes so all was good.

Noticed you said some good #'s of broad bills around...are you seeing them in the st Lawrence or out in the main lake?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Lake Ontario United mobile app