Boga grip

gregc1

If you do, buy the brand name. The knock-offs are inferior and end up dropping fish. The scale is fairly accurate, but they are not perfect in not causing damage to the fish.  If you are harvesting the fish, they will allow people that do not want to hold the fish or are not strong enough to hold them to display them.

As a catch and release tool, I think they are best used grasping the fish(primarily large Kings and Lakers) while in the water and dislodging the hook while the water supports the fishes weight. If used on smaller Salmon and trout the jaws aren't as heavy and they can split. If you do buy one to aid in safely releasing large Kings, remember to  use the lanyard as one snap of the head will rip it out of your hand. 

Warm water releases after long battles with large Salmon are challenging at best, but sometimes a King can be pulled through the water allowing water to flow across the gills and it will be better prepared to plunge down. I believe I read where the Yankee boys even utilize a tow rope for this purpose.

vince is spot on with the jaws splitting... Its not something to use on the tribs C/R fishing. A steelhead or brown is not designed to be hung by its jawbone, one twist and shake and the fish falls off with a broken jaw to suffer.

A few years back during spring, I caught 2 fish, same run, same day, jaws split completely in half... The fish still fed as any animal will until it can't. Could'nt figure out how the jaws would split until I watched a few guys downstream using these grips to lift and photograph the fish. No doubt in my mind they were the culprits. Talking with them, they stated they had been "hammering" fish all week there on thier yearly vacation of egg collecting... Yes, they were from Pa :rofl:

vince is spot on with the jaws splitting... Its not something to use on the tribs C/R fishing. A steelhead or brown is not designed to be hung by its jawbone, one twist and shake and the fish falls off with a broken jaw to suffer.

A few years back during spring, I caught 2 fish, same run, same day, jaws split completely in half... The fish still fed as any animal will until it can't. Could'nt figure out how the jaws would split until I watched a few guys downstream using these grips to lift and photograph the fish. No doubt in my mind they were the culprits. Talking with them, they stated they had been "hammering" fish all week there on thier yearly vacation of egg collecting... Yes, they were from Pa :rofl:

been using one for steelhead for 3 years, never had a jaw split even once. here is to your ignorance. :mooning::lol: :lol:

Bit the bullet and got one this June after using one in a buddies boat. Well worth it for all the above reasons. There was a thread about Bogas several months ago. Give it a search. Capt. Vince is right on about not cheaping out on a knock-off. I found the best deal on E-Bay.

I an understand the ripped lips of your pulling a fish up with its entire body weight pulling down. Especially with the soft mouthed fish like steelhead. However I believe that if you support the body with your other hand it takes quite a bit of pressure off the mouth. Just as a side tip that if your releasing fish wet your hand before touching a fish to ensure there slime coating stays on them. Losing that raises the chances of death. I truly love these fish and the more that are released successfully means that more come back next year. Good luck guys.

Captain Vince nailed it.  Buy the brand name for confidence in weighing your fish- and use a lanyard tied to a cleat for releasing larger fish especially kings, or a large saltwater float. 

I have been reviving/releasing fish with mine for the last 5 years with great success.  Especially when you have pulled a fish up into warm water!  Some fish just are not going to make it, but I believe this gives them the best shot at making it. 

A much better survival rate!

I picked up a few knock off brands and keep them tied to my radar arch all season long, one on each side.  They are each tied to a length of a rope that I loop around my rod holders depending on sea conditions.  As fish are being caught you can get a fish onto your "lip gripper", hang em over the side and go back to rigging/netting fish until you are ready for a photo. The fish will let you know when they want to be released.

Some clients are like me and love watching em swim off just as much as they like watching em come over the rail!!

Good luck!

Edited by Jax

The damage occurs when the boga is clamped down on the jaw... Watch someone using a boga, the fish immediately "freaks out" as jaw gets clamped, maybe pain or just fear... The fish typically will spin over and over, damage can occur without the fish even being lifted out of the water. Lifting the fish out insures damage.

as far as releasing kings, seems like it works, esp. since some have had success, might even try it with a #2 barbless hook attached to some wire.

I actually just think its common sense, not surprizing that some find hard realize though...