More crazy spoons - more help needed

vetting

Here is another few sets of lures that I got in a collection I purchased.  Its a ton more fun going through vintage spoons than it is new spoons.  There is such a wide variety of old spoons.  New spoons all look the same and only have minor differences in shape and weight.

Marked Great Lakes Lure - anyone seen these before?  Talk about a crazy design - seems like it would work if it doesnt tangle itself during the deploy. 

post-151912-0-91414000-1386639738_thumb.jpg

Not sure if these are just blanks that someone painted or not.  Some look hand painted, others look like a factory finish.

post-151912-0-75536900-1386640163_thumb.jpg

Heavier Red Eye spoons - not sure if they are supposed to be casting or trolling lures

post-151912-0-79337200-1386640232_thumb.jpg

Loco spoons.  Some are marked Glen Evans others are just marked loco.  Are the ones just marked Loco the Luhr Jensen version?

post-151912-0-51336600-1386640373_thumb.jpg

lure 1 - unfamilar look almost like pike lures

lure 2 - possibly doctored up Williams Wobblers ? Hard to tell the exact shape and contour thickness from the pic they have an almost "Cleo" look to them in the pic True Cleos have their name on the underside and a pic of a dancing girls torso saying "wiggle lure" or something like that

lure 3 - possibly large size Krockodile spoons? (I think they spelled them with a K :>) both casting and trolling but mostly casting off piers etc. for trout and salmon

lure 4 - Definitely "Loco's" I think the company was sold a couple times.

Edited by Sk8man

lure 1 - unfamilar look almost like pike lures

lure 2 - possibly doctored up Williams Wobblers ? Hard to tell the exact shape and contour thickness from the pic they have an almost "Cleo" look to them in the pic

lure 3 - possibly large size Krockodile spoons? (I think they spelled them with a K :>) both casting and trolling but mostly casting off piers etc. for trout and salmon

lure 4 - Definitely "Loco's" I think the company was sold a couple times.

Man O man Les, what would we ever do with out your wisdom!!  You certainly have a wealth of information stored up stairs. You never cease to amaze me. Thanks for your replies to this and ever other thread, I like this thread about vintage lures and stuff I would never of never saw if it weren't for this awesome site. Keep us posted, never to old to learn something new!!! 

#3 - they are actually marked Red Eye Lures on the back - same marking as the ones that I've been selling. 

#4 some are the original Glen L Evans.  The ones that are marked Glen L Evans seem to have the split ring closer to the edge of the spoon than the ones just marked loco.

Man O man Les, what would we ever do with out your wisdom!! You certainly have a wealth of information stored up stairs. You never cease to amaze me. Thanks for your replies to this and ever other thread, I like this thread about vintage lures and stuff I would never of never saw if it weren't for this awesome site. Keep us posted, never to old to learn something new!!!

I'd say you both r pretty knowledgeable

:)  Pap- Thanks man...but I was pretty much guessing this time...I think #2 since they are thin may be just blanks that someone bought some already painted and they doctored up the rest. Even the smaller Williams are thicker spoons.  I think Red Eye spoons became Evil Eye spoons and then were finally bought out by Daredevele. In the case of the Locos my hunch is that the Glen Evans were the original spoons and the Locos came afterward and are "look a likes" but the Loco name is what the shape is known by. I think all mine were stamped Loco and were from the late 70's to early 80's.

Edited by Sk8man

To take off on what Pap said....this type of thread would be an interesting "puzzler" as there are thousands of vintage lures....but on the other hand....it could drive some of us nuts too trying to remember or figure them out....kinda like trying to remember somebody's name from the past :lol:

Les doesn't that Pi$$ you off when it's right on the tip of your tongue and you cant spit it out. I get that sometimes and I get so mad, then I can't remember $hit, then maybe out of the bleu I'll just spit it out, I was starting think I was getting Alzheimer's disease LOL!!!

• 3 months later...

Yes, lot 1 is without doubt the "Oakie Doakie", manufactured by Great Lakes Lure Co. We have been out of business for some years, however are in the process of starting back up. That lure was "hydro dynamically" designed to provide an un equaled strike provoking action. Computer aided design and all dies were done by Newtown Tool and Die, (previously Bennett tool and die) HHDS ny, By the late Dick Bennett. My father "Junior" has suffered horrible back surgeries in the last 10 yrs ( completely fused neck and spine)and lost interest in lure making. He would like to see our lures being produced again and has recently turned over the company to me to produce lures again. This is the only thing I have been able to get him interested in again. I cant seem to talk him into going fishing though.  Any one who knows him, it would be nice if you reach out to him and wish him well. I would like to see him fishing again!