Daiwa saltist for 10 color

GAMBLER

For those traveling through Cortland, you can score some short spools of leadcore at the Cortland factory outlet store. I just drove through this past weekend and stopped in and bought a number of spools. They had 14, 18, 27, 36, 45, and 60lb leadcore and most weights had lengths measuring from 3-8 colors. Price was dirt cheap. Some of the 27-36 lb weights had stacks of 4-6 colors spools so lots for everyone.

Brian, why a ten color? I know they catch fish, but don't you use the 200 copper?

I do run a 200 and a 250 copper Chad. I ran a buddy's side by side with the 200 last season and each on had its days. I also like having ALL the tools for the trade. I have no room for it in he boat but I will figure something out.

Save yourself a hundred bucks and use an Okuma CV45-L. Perfect 10 color leadcore reel. $62.99 at northwoodsoutlet.net.

JAM

I'm not a fan of okuma jammer. Their quality is not there yet. I also like a smoother drag and a higher gear ratio.

Hey Brian,

Yeah, that's the thing about Okuma... guys either love em or hate em.

I have had great success with the Convertor 30-D for wire dispys and 45-D for leadcores.  Never ever had an issue, and feel they are smooth, nice loud clickers and great handles.

The big Clarions (553-LS) are awesome for 500 coppers too.  Big, smooth, and fast.

The Coldwaters are a different story.  I ran a 303-D as a wire dipsy last season and will not buy another.  I can't ever seem to get the drag set just at the edge of holding.  I hear there is a 'free' upgrade to fix that, but I haven't looked into it.  Anyone know the details?

JAM

The nice thing about the Saltist is the nicer drag and higher gear ratio.  I personally use the newer 18lb Suffix Advanced.  Took multiple 20lb+ kings this year on it and never had one break.  I personally have Converctors right now for 10 color, but thinking on upgrading to the Saltist.  I just hate the 4:1 ratio on a 10 color and the drags seem to be sticky on the Convectors.  Every time you adjust the drag you have to crank the reel a few times for the new drag setting to work.  They were that way right out of the box, so not sure if they are supposed to be that way or not.  Anyone else have a similar issue? 

Hi Vetting,

What you're experienceing with your Convectors sounds like what I've only had with the Coldwater.  I've never had ANY drag issues with the Convectors or Clarions.  Go figure...

JAM

Hi Jammer,

Actually....I just sent in 2 coldwaters for replacement.  Both had the clutch lock up on me.  One was completely stuck so I had to cut the line and handline it in with a full 5 colors.  I guess the issues have been worked out with coldwaters, so hopefully I'll be happy with them.  I'll actually probably just sell them and put the money towards the Saltist.  Not sure if I am going to go with the 40 or 50 though - I could probably just get the 40 since I used the 18lb suffix advanced.  Then...there is what to do with my Convectors.  The drag issue isnt too bad, just sucks to monkey with it on a board reel when you are always making adjustments to it.  Maybe I'll send those in for drag replacement by Tuna Tom and then use them for a 7 color. 

Maybe Im just picky since all of my other reels are newer sealine 47s, some with Tuna Tom upgrades.  With the drag upgrade for my sealine wire reel, I can notice a change in the drag just by tapping the drag a fraction of an inch in one direction.  Its really helpful when pulling full size Walker Divers in heavy waves.

I have two convector 45's with ten color and 30lb fireline backing and love them. Use them both for salmon and walleye. Plenty of backing for kings with a full ten color.