Nice free depth charts.

Tg8

I found this and thought I would share. http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp

Heck of a resource any mobile smart phone can utilize, I also installed the iOS app for us&canada. It was free and the basic depth maps work really well, I thought I was paying the 54$ but that is only for the in app upgrade. After I realized the iOS app was free I wanted to get the sonar+ so I paid for the 54$ yearly subscription, to find that the initial free version provided me with 95% of what I needed! canandaigua! keuka! Seneca! cayuga have excellent detail along with Ontario. I hope this provides someone with a nice free resource. I found the accuracy with the depth in the penn yan arm a little suspect as I know there are areas where it marks 105 ft are 140ft. However, there is very nice detail for oneida, and the st Lawrence, etc...

The smaller numbers are their attempt at writing on the diagonal. So if you look at Lake Ontario, you will notice that if you place the three numbers together they relate to the surrounding depths. It is a weird way to present the numbers it might be a line layering issue where they cant place a number atop a contour line. Just my guess.

This might be a dumb question, but what do the smaller numbers next to the depth readings mean?

It's nothing more than a decimal. I have no idea what Tg8 is saying above.

48 with a subscript of 9 would mean the depth is 48.9 feet or meters or fathoms depending on what unit of measurement you are using (obviously this feature is more relevant if you're using fathoms or meters since the decimal part would represent greater distance of depth)

- Chris

took me 10 years to learn seneca,you new guys are lucky to have such tools...all my hot spots are just as my depth finder shows them.....yup that one ,and the other,,uh huh that one too...now ya can see where the fish hold ya just gotta figure the time of year..definatly good stuff for the finger lakes tho..

Just as an aside I saw recently that the government is getting out of the nautical chart publishing business. They are not going to be printing nautical charts for navigation any longer. Could be interesting if in the future all the satellites are blocked by some natural disaster and there are no physical maps available.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

What are those little yellow things marked "private" off Durand?  There's 3 of them

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Could those be the locations for those USGS buoys that were out there in 2015. I count 4 of them, and I recall 4 buoys in those depths. Me and a few other boats I know of snagged the cables of those with dipsies if you got to close.