Patching small holes in Fiberglass?

InTheBox

Hi guys,

My boat has some small holes on the hardtop from old mounting gear and some small cracks and missing gelcoat inside the boat. I seen some products in bass pro that are gel coat patch. Has anyone ever used these? Or any other tips on fixing this.

Thanks,

Pat

Hi, I've had to play around with fiberglass (canoe's) and gelcoat repairs over the years. You don't mention if you have match or want to match colors. Most of the products I've seen work pretty well. You have to watch the humidity as such depending on the scope and scale of your project. If you have to match colors, there is place called Spectrum Color. they also have samll jar kits of factory matched colors. Good luck

This is web sight .. http://www.spectrumcolor.com/

IMG_0476-1.jpg

Thanks,

I'am not going to be to picky about color. I just need a white color. I just cant stand any kind of holes in my boat.

Thanks again,

Anybody else try any of the bass pro or cabelas brands they have in there mags?

• 4 weeks later...

Order the west marine catalog They have all the right stuff.and advice. White is the easiest to repair. Where safety glasses when applying the gel coat in its liquid form. use less than recommended amount of cure for best results, you will get more working time with the liquid form. and better results. Apply with artists brush.

Apply thin coats of gel coat let dry, then reapply the next coat, reapply as many coats as needed until the surface being repaired is larger in height than the surrounding area ,so it can be sanded to match the surrounding area. You may apply heavier coats of gel and use masking tape to stop it from leaking out. This comes in handy when working on the freeboard or any area that is not horizontal. Use very fine sand paper for final finish. Wet sandpaper for final. Will look as good as new.

Jay