2014 LOC changes (another division knocked off)

It looks like no steelhead division in the Spring LOC and the $ from that division was put into the king division.  The Lake trout division is not in the fall derby again.  There looks to be some Big king of the day in the summer derby.  Atleast now the money from the steelhead division will be going to a fishermen instead of back into the pocket of the owner.

Well, I think canning the spring steelhead division and redirecting that prize money makes sense.  If you look at the last three years final results for the spring LOC's they never even came close to filling the board in the steelhead division.  Not a lot of steelies caught that time of year as they are dropping back out of the spawning tribs.

Tim

Makes sense to me too. But I'm disappointed that that division needs to be completely eliminated. Might have been better to divert only the bottom 10 positions to the other species prizes. Steelhead of 10 lbs.+ are still a trophy fish in the spring.

Yeah well the reverse is also true for the fall derby.  Our salmon fishing out west all but disappears in mid August as they all head east.

Hmmm.  A bunch of years the Fall derby has been won from Niagara County.  Fishing can't be too bad Tim. 

I have to agree with Tim. I don't even bother fishing much into September. It's not worth it. You can catch all the steelhead u want but I'm always in it for the kings. September here in the west end is for trail cameras and tree stands to get ready for bow. As a kid in the 80's and 90's the Fall king and brown fishing was stellar but its changed.

I don't have to be fishing down there to know what's going on. I'd give my right nut to fish west end all season. For the west end to have a tougher time of it for only after mid august isn't too bad. My whole point was the central basin being screwed again.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You it's want to see slow fishing, try fishing come fish the fall derby with me or Scott out of sandy. Without lake trout and brown fishing we have a slow day on the water. Now we are down to brown fishing in the fall derby. Last year I ran wwaaayyy offshore and found one fish! At he same time, the inside waters were dead and guys off the bar were doing way better.

Okay, you guys have me rolling on the floor...who has the worst fishing come late August  :rofl: . Don't guys usually argue just the opposite?

Seriously, though, who has bigger downrigger balls? Just kidding, of course, I'm in the same boat that you guys are in (but we run 16 lbers, if anybody want to compare sizes  :P).  

We all know Sandy becomes a dead zone for the most part once the Derby is here. Probably the Bar, too, though the "way-out" bite for steelhead in August can be fantastic. As you know, despite Nothing But Net's stunning success and stellar reputation with the Lake Trout off the Bar in the Spring  :rock: ... okay, maybe that's stretching the truth, but only a little  ;) ... we haven't fared so well in the Fall Derby fishing out of Sandy. Luckily, there are lots of Fall options living where we live. As has been said above, tree stands, squirrels, perch and smallies become the targets. And that's okay with me. The only reason I miss Lakers in the fall prize categories is the look of joy I used to see on Brian's face...by August, my arms are worn out, anyway :)

Fish on!!

Edited by Gator

I don't have to be fishing down there to know what's going on. I'd give my right nut to fish west end all season. For the west end to have a tougher time of it for only after mid august isn't too bad. My whole point was the central basin being screwed again.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Man giving up a nut to fish?  You guys are off the hook, If you're that serious about the great fishing over there....just move, at least for your slow months....see alot of boats docked in Wilson for the spring that aren't there all year...guess you could move over there in the fall too right?  Or maybe give up the left and move out east...

Makes sense to me too. But I'm disappointed that that division needs to be completely eliminated. Might have been better to divert only the bottom 10 positions to the other species prizes. Steelhead of 10 lbs.+ are still a trophy fish in the spring.

Differently like this idea way better then just getting rid of the division all together.

Plus the other thing that's got to be asked is where does this all end 2 divisions down already won't be long before its a king only derby.

Man giving up a nut to fish? You guys are off the hook, If you're that serious about the great fishing over there....just move, at least for your slow months....see alot of boats docked in Wilson for the spring that aren't there all year...guess you could move over there in the fall too right? Or maybe give up the left and move out east...

<br />Fishing out of my port in the fall derby was not an issue until the lake trout division was yanked . Now it's a brown only derby for us.

oh boy......look what I have missed.  Good God, what is wrong with the LOC committee.  Dont they understand that the reason for ALL the divisions, is so that MORE people can fish in front of their own "area" and have a shot at catching some variety of fish!  Yes, all of us from the Oak to Fair Haven (Central Basin) are missing out on Lakers and Steelies.  We have to GO WEST in the spring and EAST in the fall to catch fish.  Not all of us has unlimited time and funds to dock all over the lake to derby fish.  I pay for a slip here and want to fish out front and catch lakers or steelies or whatever is around.  Salmon normally are around by the second weekend of the spring LOC, but still not the size of out west.  Same in Fall, although there are some staging fish by the Genny, its better to the east....but they are continuing to pare this down to a Salmon derby before all is said and done.  Totally frustrated, as many of you as well.  Grrrrrrr

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I fished the Oak west & most Spring derby & caught mostly lakers this past  year w/ a few kings mixed in. ( Year before was not typical cause of extremly warm winter). Had Boards out a lot to catch a stray bow but not one on.

This  Aug  was great untill the last week in Aug, Then got great the second week in Sept till the end for matures.

I think the reason the kings stay in say  Ollcott to Sandy is because of the Temp/Green water they & the bait like so much. Also the currents & maybe more Oxygen/life in the water from the Niagara Flow. You can find good water most times within 10 miles of port .

Don't fish east end but from the sounds of it you guys fish a lot deeper after lake sets up  than we have to out this way . I think because the prevailing westerly winds pile up the warm water down that way.

Thought about it after the lakers being disallowed last year. The  Kings are suppose to be the Premier fish of the Great lakes. Lakers save the day for us ,but they are kind of like carp. To bad about the Steelhead.

The first , and might I add ,the most important part of the fishing equation is location.And time of year dictates where it's best. It's kind of nice it changes so everyone has a chance.

Sandy.... deadzone? Yeah thats right.. no fish there! lol.. i agree it does slow down there as Sept. approaches plus last summers wind didnt help. i am somewhat new to lake O fishing, but i/we missed placing a king by about a 1/2 # (32 and change) during fall derby. i fished places further east with worse results than a bad day at sandy. a great port and cant wait for the shootout!<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

[Dan]