Any Set up suggestions for 16ft Deep V

Unclepaul

You are correct, the main purpose of floatation is to keep the hull afloat after being swamped, holed or by any other means, you  fill your boat with water.  A big safety item.  Foam flotation is required for all new boats under 22'.

The big added benefit to this is foam flotation, properly installed will significantly increase the boat's stiffness.  It will also quiet the hull.

As previously mentioned in this thread, foam can, and often does, becomes waterlogged.  If this happens, all kinds of bad results occur, the main one being a loss of floatation.

You can avoid this by using the correct foam for this job.  Many manufacturers use 2lb foam.  Some even use an open cell foam that will absorb water like a sponge.  These are cheap which is why they are used.  Don't use 2 lb. foam even if it is closed cell.  Use 4 lb., closed cell foam.  It will not absorb water, will not become waterlogged and will add significantly to the stiffness of your hull.

If you are looking for a supplier, I order foam, and other fiberglass/epoxy supplies on line.  US Composites in Florida is excellent to deal with.  Product are high quality and service is excellent.  And they will provide advise.

Good Luck with your project!

Unclepaul,

I have also ordered from Jamestown many times in the past and they are an excellent company to do business with.   They probably do carry some foam products, you can check them out.

Foam is installed by mixing the two components together and pouring it into the hull.  You need to work fast as the foam expands quickly.  There is a lot of good information about pouring foam floatation on the web. 

I would definitely make sure you have downriggers. I have a 16 ft and fish by myself at times and when the fish are in close its nice to be able to combat fish and with downriggers you can turn alot sharper without as many tangles. Also when you do have a fish on if by yourself there are less tangles with shorter lines as opposed to dispeys and other long lines out.

I had a big king on this summer (25 lbs guessing), by myself and the only time he got tangled was when I was trying to net him but luckily he got loose as it was on the downrigger cable and popped the other line. Also I was able to turn the boat enough to be able to fight him without hittng other boats as I was doing circles at one point. The other boats were far enough away or went around me when they noticed I was fighting a fish.